Culebra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traciedee

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of Culebra and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the diving, who to dive with and what area to stay in. Would like to be able to walk to a couple of bars and restaurants and maybe the dive shop.

Have heard the ferry is a pain, but I am wondering what the weight restrictions are if we take a puddle jumper.

We've been a couple of times... 1st time we stayed in Rio Grande & ferried over to the island a couple of different days. Last time we went, we a taxi meet us at the airport, take us down to Ceiba to the little airport there to catch a puddle jumper, & we just stayed on Culebra the whole week. Was fantastic. A little higher since everything has to be booked separate, no "package" deal, but it was one of the most enjoyable times we've ever had.
Culebra, Puerto Rico - The Island Travel Guide here's one link to info on the island. Can't remember what the price was for the little plane, but it wasn't bad, but we had SO much baggage, (took ALL of our scuba gear), we paid quite a bit more than what anyone might normally have to.
Here's another link, probably a better one.... Culebra Puerto Rico Vacation Information
It explains better about the transporation & other things you'll need to know. We stayed at Villa Flamenco Beach, which is right on the famed Flamenco Beach, but there are plenty of little villas or hotels around closer to town you could stay in. We dove w/Culebra Divers w/Walter. He was a little funny (odd) we thought, but thoroughly enjoyed our dives & went out a couple of times w/him. We rented a jeep from Jerry's Jeeps & some days, just ran all over the island, exploring. The snorkeling around there is Amazing! Had Almost as much fun doing that, as we did diving. Melones Beach was especially awesome.
If u stay on the "mainland" & just ferry over or fly over to the island, as soon as the ferry ports, Culebra Divers is right there across the road, facing the ship. There's no time, they'll tell you they'll be watching for the ferry & wait till you walk in, then head off for a dive. :) Very laid back.
Good luck in PR & have fun diving!

one other thing, I don't recommend taking the ferry on a weekend. It is CROWDED!!! Can't hear yourself think!
Vieques Island is also pretty amazing I hear & read, but we hadn't made it over there yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom