Culebra and Vieques (Puerto Rico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corey O.

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to get my dad to come out and see me here in Puerto Rico. We are attempting to make plans to go on a Mona Island trip, but we are having an increasing amount of difficulty coming up with a full 6 people who have the time, money, and interest.

I am located in Aguada and I thought that a cheaper alternative might be to go and check out Culebra and possibly Vieques. We would most likely just load up my SUV, drive to the eastern end of the island, and pay the $30 freight charge for the ferry.

I am wondering if anyone knows the islands well and could suggest places to go, places to dive and/or snorkel, places to eat, and places to stay. We are not looking for anything expensive or extravagant, just a clean place to sleep near the best beaches and reefs. Are there any good charters located out there?

I saw Culebra Divers mentioned elsewhere in the board http://www.culebradivers.com .

I found the following posts without any more than general information:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr....html?highlight=Culebra+Vieques+(Puerto+Rico)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr....html?highlight=Culebra+Vieques+(Puerto+Rico)

~ Corey O.

On Vieques, there is a very ecclectic place called la casa del frances which is a hotel/restaurant in the estate of an old time plantation owner/local big wig. I've stayed there several times and received good food and a decent place to sleep when I had cause to go to the island. (I have a place in Luquillo) There were good reefs for snorkeling/diving at what used to be called blue beach and green beach on the end of the island that was a navy base. (I snorkeled them when it still was a base). I haven't been down that way for a couple years so I don't know how developed it's gotten since the navy got booted, but i suspect it's still easily dive-able.

Culebra is a longer ferry ride, priced higher and generally nicer place than vieques. Flamenco beach has been called one of the top 10 beaches in the world. Never been over that way myself,, but if you're looking for good beaches, you can't beat it. Be warned, ferry from Fajardo is bloody awful on weekends.

One thing to keep in mind, whether Culebra or Vieques, is that they're served by a small airline, Isla Neno (apologies if I got the spelling wrong) and there is a serious weight limit on your luggage if you choose to fly from San Juan rather than take the ferry. You also will carry your own luggage so any dive knife or tool that contains a knife will be confiscated. (I parted with an expensive dive tool because I wasn't aware of that fact.) Walter, who runs the dive shop just at the ferry pier in Culebra, had decent rental equipment; I'll concede that the notes in my dive log from the trip are just odd, though - things like "divemaster hates my mask." I don't know what I was thinking - but I remember the diving as pretty good...beaches on Culebra are incredible, and most of the island has been protected since the early 1900s. One thing - many of the folks from the mainland U.S. there consider themselves "expats," and I didn't have the heart to point out that you, well, actually have to leave the U.S. to be an expatriate.

I took a car out to Vieques a number of years ago. A couple of things to keep in mind. The vehicle ferry doesn't run as frequently as the people only ferry. If they have a mechanical problem you could find yourself stuck in Fajardo or Vieques for a bit. Loading and unloading I thought was a bit chaotic. Even with a reservation, I wasn't sure I was going to make it on the boat. Passenger vehicles can get preempted for commercial vehicles. After I did that, I remember thinking that it would be easier to just take the passenger ferry and just rent a vehicle there. Now, all this was maybe 10 years ago....things may have changed, but I don't know just food for thought.

Vieques has some beautiful beaches and lots of guest houses to stay in. I also went to Blue and Green beaches while the Navy was still there. They were fantastic, and empty. Again, 10 years ago. I wasn't a diver then so didn't dive there, but I hear it's great.

Just a few things I've heard in addition to what irmo above mentioned. Ferry service may be suspended if the seas are rough. This recently happened due to some weather fronts. Also, there was a mechanical problem on one of the ferries that delayed passengers. These are both very infrequent occurrences. Just go with the flow!

Our last trip to PR, we stayed on Culebra Island. And yes, dove w/old Walter.... he's a funny sort. :) Had a fantastic time, though, he was a terrific guide & we've been out w/him a couple of times. We actually stayed down on Flamenco Beach, but there were plenty of little hotels & villas in & around town. Check out Culebra Puerto Rico Vacation Information
Full of good info on the island, including transportation & accomodations. We especially like Mamacita's down in town. Very good food & excellent service.
If you rent anything to drive around the island, be sure & check out Melones Beach & some of the others around there. VERY good snorkeling & usually pretty secluded. The island is so small, any of the locals can tell u where to find it & others & it's easy to get to.
Have FUN! :)

Oh and ocbeachbum.... you're so right about the ferries being CRAZY on weekends! Never again.... whew.

Yes... The vieques ferry is a PAIN in the ass. Why don't you call Taino Divers and dive desecheo island? I think thats the best diving in PR... Mona too, but I like Desecheo best. 787-823-6429.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom