West side sites for shore diving AND snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allniceonice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are divers and will be visiting Grand Cayman for one day with my parents, who are basic snorkelers. I have scoured these boards and elsewhere looking for the best places on the west side of the island to dive and snorkel together and have not found much information.

Here are the locations I've narrowed our focus to based on the quality of the diving, but I am having difficulty determining how suitable for snorkeling they really are:

*Lighthouse Point
*Turtle Reef / Cracked Conch
*Sunset House

We welcome other suggestions too. We would ideally like to stay away from the areas immediately surrounding the cruise ship tenders.

Thanks!

From a snorkeling perspective:

Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto (best snorkeling of the options, go on weekend when there are no/few cruise ships)
Sting Ray City Dive Site (better if you snorkelers can submerge/free dive at least a few feet)
Sunset House (Good snorkeling)
Cracked Conch (OK, but good stuff is really too deep for snorkeling)
Have not snorkeled Lighthouse Point.

Though it is not really a shore dive you might want to consider the wreck of the Kittiwake. The top of the ship is only a few feet from the surface which should be good for snorkelers. The Bottom rests in about 55ft of water.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I don't think Stingray City is in the cards for us, and I would prefer not to dive in the shadow of the cruise ships. So it sounds like our best bet from shore is Sunset House, or else go our separate ways and converge later for topside activities.

Testudo: I checked out your snorkel guides, what a fabulous effort. It makes me want to plan my next vacation for GC only!

I would 2nd Sunset House. There's good snorkeling sort of off to the North in really shallow water. In some areas I thought if I stood up, I'd be stepping on the coral. One afternoon there was a noticeable current - not much but enough that it could be disconcerting to new snorkelers. Also, the ironshore means you have to be able to get back to your entry point. Even a few spots just off the Sea Pool aren't bad. The non-divers can also wait at My Bar - or go see the Cathy Church photo gallery on-site if they have to wait for the divers to return - the Nicholson is a fairly long swim out - the Mermaid is a lot closer.

Agree with Testudo - by the time you exit the (tiny) cove at Turtle Reef you're almost already in water too deep to snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom