Do Underwater Cities Exist???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I read somewhere where a pyramid was found below water near Cuba. I think it would be neat to explore submerged buildings.

I read recently an article about some new statues found under water in Egypt, that too would be awesome to find.

I believe the underwater pyramid is in China. Its supposedly taller than the tallest pyramid in Egypt.

In NM at Truth or Consequences in the Elephant Butte Resevoir, the original town is underwater, don't know anyone who's dove there, but there is an outfit out of Las Cruces NM that takes divers up there. Also there is supposedly alot of cliff dwellings and such in Lake Powell. Not much more info to give you, sorry. :D

is the resevoir even deep enough anymore. if you wait a few years whatevers submerged will probably be visible. it was kinda sad last time i was there at how shallow it's getting. i wasn't there for diving though, so i can't speak about the conditions

Here in SW Mo they say there are some flooded towns from making table rock, Beaver, and Bull Shoals lakes.

I want to dive them, but have been slow on getting around to it. I should try to do it this summer, because the lake levels are really down this year-like 15 or 20 feet.

NO this is not true. Only foundations and a few wall's in all of these lake's.

Now their are a few small place's like shack's while the lake's were being built.
and their is a stone ampa theater on beaver lake. and all of them have bridges and roads, but no real towns or house's to see.

this is an older post but I just wanted to put my two cents in! :D

There have been reports of structures off of Cuba but they haven't been validated as far as I know.

I haven't read all 10 pages, just browsed some, so apologies if it has already been mentioned,

But down in the South Island of New Zealand, in the Otago lakes there is a flooded town near Alexandra, Used to be a riverside town but was upriver of a new hydro dam in the 90's.

I have no idea of what the houses and structures would be like or if they were knocked down first. But the town is there and underwater.

The town of Alma was submerged by the flooding of Lexington Reservoir in Los Gatos, CA. I'd guess that it's very deep, I don't know of anyone who has dived it.

Believed to be more than two thousand years old, and was discovered submerged at the bottom of a lake, the first city in Guatemala.

Samabaj is submerged in the Lake Atitlan, in the department of Panajachel, Solola, about 300 kilometers from Guatemala City.

Samabaj, or the Atlantis in Guatemala, was discovered by the archaeologist Roberto Samayoa, who will be formalizing its discovery in the First Festival of Culture Museum Atitlan Lakeside 2011, from 02 to 04 December this year in the department of Solola.

This place is one of the submerged most important cities in the sample was Hispanic and was inhabited and there was life on this island, which is believed growth was submerged by the lake.

This finding has been supported by different NGOs that have driven this study, which enriches the lives of past civilizations that lived in Guatemala.

Televisa news had access to several photographs of the sunken city, where you can see the richness of Hispanic architectural structures and exemplifying that there was a well developed civilization, and even had a residential structure to which the archaeologists involved in this study, we called "squares" or pictures, because its exact square structure.

Altars Samabaj residues shown having a height of about three meters high and built with stones of 60 cm high, located at the center of the development.

Under the lake also can be seen in places where civilization that inhabited Samabaj had its recreation areas, home where children could play and the women weave and make pottery.

According to Sonia Medrano, Guatemalan archaeologist in Samabaj wall structures we can see very well carved, where the stone of the residential structures is were worked to leave with smooth texture.

According to pre-Hispanic archaeological experts, Samabaj, is one of the most important wealth after the discovery of Tikal in the northern department of El Petén. This finding indicates the importance of this lake for more than two million years and still represents a natural wealth for the country of eternal spring.

After more than five years of archaeological studies made in the side Atitlan, has discovered the importance archaeological save this magical place and will continue to provide thousands of archaeological riches.

TreasureWorks - The Underwater City of Guatemala - TreasureWorks Forum

Apparently there are a few around the world - if "reported" sites are to be believed. A quick google gave me this :

9,500-Year-Old City Found
Underwater Off India

Ancient Underwater City Found Off India: Discovery in Bay of Cambay Will Force Western Archaeologists to Rewrite History

and this :

1327413198_48c855e9c0_o.jpg
source : Underwater Cities, Ruins and Other Urban Archeology: 7 Submerged Wonders of the World | WebUrbanist

It would be really cool to visit these sites some day - but no doubt they would be protected from the average diver.
If you think about it, mankind has been around for thousands of years, during that time we have had warmer climates and Ice Ages - both of which have affected the sea levels.
We know that there are cities at higher altitude, why wouldn't there be more cities at lower altitudes when there was an Ice Age?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom