1st trip Bonaire - luggage/gear/etc questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa,

All of the above is good advice. I do however, take 3 pairs of shorts. I have not invested in a fish scale to determine luggage weight. I just use my bathroom scale, and have someone read the numbers for me. Also do a dry run on packing. Do not wait until the morning you leave.

We fly down on American through Curacao. As of this past November, they were still allowing 2 checked bags per customer. We check one bag, with both our scuba gear, minus regs and masks. We check one bag of clothes for both of us. Not a lot, but it wouldn't qualify as a carry on.

We check a cooler of food. We are very picky about the thickness of our steaks, our cuts of pork chops, our chicken breasts, and our sausages. We grill out 4 nights, and eat out 2.
Believe me, I thoroughly enjoy grilling out here at home, and with a beer in my hand on the beach is even better.

Same with lunch. Eat out 3, and pack our own lunch 3. It saves you a couple of 300 bucks over the course of a week. Plus, you can put the sandwiches in the cooler, and a couple of beers for when you finish diving. Also, I pack apples and carrots in it for the wild donkeys and goats I encounter, and leftovers from the previous night for the dogs. Buddy Dive has a free ice machine to the left of the registration counter.

The fourth item checked is a box with my "travel grill" in it, along with prayer books for the church, items needed for the animal shelter gift shop, and a few items from the states that my friends who live down there can't get on island.

When you get to the Flamingo airport, take a cab to Buddy's. It will cost you $20 bucks. Buddy's charges 20 PP to pick you up, and 20PP to take you back.

Finally, when I first went to Bonaire in 97, I had done only boat dives. I busted my arse more than a few times on my first couple of trips trying to enter the water in full gear. I learned to wear my gear down to the waters edge, take it off, inflate my BC, and float it out to waste deep water. Deflate your BC, and then put your fins and gear on.

Have a great trip!!

I would add a couple thoughts. As new divers I would suggest you dive off the docks of the resorts (usually if you check in with them they will let you use their docks - only a few exceptions) and a few of the REALLY easy sites as to entry/exits. There was a post about people having difficulty with the shore diving at Bonaire (lots of cuts, bruises and a few broken bones stories). Some of the posters listed a number of very easy sites which will keep you busy with a varied experience without the bumps and bruises. I know one of the posters talked aboout taking lunch in a cooler. I don't know how he stores it during the dives but generally speaking if you leave anything in the truck - or lock the doors and roll up the windows you are asking for someone to break in and take whatever is there. Bonaire has some great diving. You will have a great time, just use the easiest shore sites (or just boats and docks for super simple) and don't leave anything in your vehicle when unattended.

Thanks all!

Question: Will a full skin help with the stings/cuts ? That doesn't take up too much room in the luggage....
Will that look ridiculous under a shorty wetsuit ? .... (uh oh, here come the new divers... ;-)

A full skin is a good idea. As first timers you'll find it's hard to beat Buddy's reef. And I would say the difficult access sites don't really offer better dives than the easy ones. Easiest North site for me was Tolo and easiest South was Pink Beach.

After about 30 trips to the island this is what works for us.
First, do not take too many changes of clothes..the best clothes you will probably take is what you wear on the plane.Do not pack 2 sets of dive gear in 1 bag..Too heavy..pack 1 set of gear minus regulator in a bag with some clothes wraped around delicate items.Should weigh less than 50lbs. Take a carry on for regulator,camera stuff,pair of shorts,swimsuit.
Buddy Dive always meets me at the airport, should have no need for taxi to resort.
You are on vacation, who wants to lug food down there and cook it.Plus you will pay extra baggage fees on it and any overweight charges-no worth the effort. If you really want to cook, go to market and get what you need,saves you effort of dragging a cooler down and paying fees on it.
Eating out really does not have to cost very much.Do not be afraid to eat like a local at local establishments like Mi Bannana ( talk to Carlos the DM at Buddy Dive-his family owns Mi Bannana and he is a good guy to know there),Maliky snack,Bobby Jams for bar b que....

Nobody has mentioned thick soled boots??!!! No sandy beaches in Bonaire so the thin soled boots used for boat and sandy shores are really uncomfortable getting in and out of shore dives. We bought these: Blue Reef Ultra 5mm Dive Boot with Zipper Oh, and you are going to have a blast!!!

Been to Bonaire several times, just got back a few weeks back. I agree with most of what's been posted thus far....a couple of comments.

1) I would use a full 3mm wetsuit, but it depends on how cold you get. I've seen people dive in everything from a 5mm with hood...next to a guy wearing nothing but a pair of swimtrunks. Even though it's pretty warm down there, you may find yourself getting chilly after numerous dives. In addition, a full wet suit will protect you from potential scratches or jellyfish stings (my buddy got stung on our last night dive)

2) Boots. You need a harder soled boot if you are doing any shore diving. Lots of sharp coral and potentially sea urchins with some of the entry points

3) Don't take food. Decent size grocery stores down there. Typically we just get some food for lunch, snacks, etc. Too many good restaurants to check out and you are on vacation!

4) For luggage, try to pack as much of your heavy gear items (and generally the more expensive items) in your carry on (regs, computer, flashlight, camera, etc). That should help with the weight. I agree also with everyone's comments regarding clothing. It took me about 5 trips before I realized that I only wore about 50% of what I brought down. Very casual island.

5) Don't leave anything in your car, it will get stolen

6) Say hi to Andrew Mercera (bartender at Buddy Diver) from Brad in Minneapolis.

Have fun...very jealous!

When you get to the Flamingo airport, take a cab to Buddy's. It will cost you $20 bucks. Buddy's charges 20 PP to pick you up, and 20PP to take you back.
When we go to Buddy Dive, we go with the Dive Package which includes breakfast and airport transfers, no extra charge...

Another vote for a full 3 mil, after multiple days of diving, may start getting a chill, and agree will get less scrapes from shore entry and fire coral.

As far as resturants,I can only recommend Patagonia and Pasa Bon Pizza, all others I have tried were nothing special. Cooking worked out for us, make a quick bite than head out for evening dives.

Leave nothing in your truck while diving, and nothing around hotel drying out, it will disapear.

When we go to Buddy Dive, we go with the Dive Package which includes breakfast and airport transfers, no extra charge...

Yes, our pkg include airports transfers and breakfast.

We weren't planning to take food. It looked like you could eat out pretty cheap, and we're on vacation! Maybe some snacks or light items for the room, but bought when we get there. It's fun checking out grocery stores in other countries/islands!

We do have boots, my hubby's are little heavier duty than mine so his will be fine but maybe I'll have to get tougher soled ones before going.... thanks for the reminder, all!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom