Murders in Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the date on the report. That was fron Jan. 2010. It's been a year...

You're right. Sorry.

I got that link from another website while researching for a potential 2012 trip.

Still, I read that DR is the most dangerous tourist destination in the Carib. Think I'll look at a different destination!

Well it happened in residential area where tourist usually do not stay, it was not in a resort. Also it was not a random killing, there was more behind that. So if you go to a tourist areas and do not get involved in "some business" you will be fine. I believe that this country as as safe as any other in the world. I bet there are parts of cities in USA, Canada or anywhere else where you wouldn't go. Sam applies here. Some people just do not use common sense, that's all.
Read the posts on this forum and ask divers that have been in DR what they think about it.

I agree with DRsharky. I walk all over Sosua and Caberete by myself in the day time and have never had a problem. I wouldn't walk around sketchy neighborhoods in Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Reno, or Las Vegas just to name a few. It only takes one looser to ruin your life anywhere. Just use the same common sense that you use at home and the warmth and kindness of the Dominican people will win you over.

Just curious for those who live there/frequent the DR, do your comments also apply to Santo Domingo? I am considering spending a week there (non-diving vacation) to familiarize myself a little bit with the people, culture, food, history, etc. I've done much travelling throughout Latin America, but the DR seems to always get a worse stigma. Thanks for any additional thoughts.

You go anywhere in the Caribbean and go "off-resort" at night you are taking your chances. The Dominican Republic is a very safe country if you use common sense. There are places here in Toronto I would NEVER go to after dark but that doesn't mean tourists should avoid Toronto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom