FI vs CCV Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at CCV in August and FI in December. I had a great time at both and loved them both. They were, however, very different.

Personally, I preferred the dive boat schedule at FI. You got three boat dives per day, compared to only two with CCV. Easy to do four daytime dives with either: CCV you can go out on the two boat dives and do drop-off dives at the local reefs (Newman's Wall and CCV Wall) on the way back. I thought they were fine, most divers on our boat got tired of them by the middle of the week (right or wrong) and started skipping them.

With FI, you go out to three real boat dives, then can do a drop-off on the way back at either of the local walls (or the wreck).

As for night dives, CCV is a slightly easier access to the wreck and the walls, but FI also gives you the option of getting someone to take you over on the skiff....then, they are happy to drop you off at the gazebo (where you can swim to the wreck), or they'll drop you off above the wreck. Or....they'll take you out along either of the walls and drop you off so that you can swim back to the wreck and then the gazebo. (FI staff were very accommodating. They were happy to take us out to the wreck....then, come back in an hour to pick us up at the gazebo. Or, we could swim back to the gazebo and call them on the gazebo phone...and they'd pick us up five minutes later.

I was with a group at CCV (and with the same group in 2009) and CCV gave us one DM for our group of 15+ divers. FI said they try to limit each boat to 10-12 divers (and that held true when I was there). DMs were pretty good at both resorts.

(A minor, but nice, thing about the FI boats was that they had large towels and terry cloth robes after each dive, which was really nice in December.)

I agree that the CCV gear rooms were much nicer. They had one per boat, and they were roomier and bright. FI had one big room (there were plenty of "lockers" to go around), but it was a little dark and closed feeling.

The food was comparable for the two, except for desserts. FI had the standard (great) ice creams, but they also hide at least a couple other excellent desserts each night (and for lunch). The dining hall at FI was much larger, lighter/brighter, and generally nicer. CCV's was a lot of dark wood and felt a lot like a fishing camp sort of place. No tablecloths (if I remember correctly) and nothing fancy (but very comfortable and informal...which is nice). FI's dining room felt like a nice restaurant. Tablecloths, attentive wait staff, etc.

CCV generally felt like a very well run dive resort. Utilitarian, but everything you need.

FI was much more like a general resort....it has a large beach (CCV has no beach), wooded areas, chaise lounges, etc.

If I was taking a non-diver, I would definitely opt for FI. If I was going with a serious diver, I think CCV has more of that vibe. Folks who are in between might like the more resort-like feel of FI.

Like I said, I really enjoyed both. If I had my choice of the two, and one was $150 cheaper than the other, that's where I'd go. If they were about the same price, I'd have to give it more thought....but, would plan to have a great time at either one.

Ron

I've been to CCV twice, and I'm already looking at the budget to figure out when I can go back. Absolutely the best dive operation I've been to. If you are looking for serious bottom time, it's possible to get in 7-8 hour long dives (on NITROX) if you want. 1 before breakfast, 4 boat, 1 or 2 afternoon, and a night.

Mike

CCV is geared towards DIVE, DIVE, DIVE. It is effortless and abundant within your safety parameters. I have 454 dive, 96% are at CCV, I am never bored with the diving.

. I have 454 dives, 96% are at CCV, I am never bored with the diving.

After dive #400:

And she looks normal
IMG_4250-1.jpg
kinda.

..................................Nice Shrek-head, k8 :rofl3:
.....................................and flippers to match.

:kiss2:

I knew you guys would have great feedback! :eyebrow:

Thanks for explaining about the lunch. Too bad they have it on their website to scare away people like me. FI has said we can go straight to lunch on arrival.

I didn't know the 2 dives at CCV were a boat dive on a reef + a drop off. I don't really like the idea of diving the same reef all the time (twice a day x 5 days) even though I understand you can always see something new. Hubby is newly certified and I want to keep him excited so I'd be worried that he would get bored doing the same thing over and over. FI is 3 boat dives to different reefs + the drop off as a 4th dive which I want to do most days except maybe 1-2 days when I want to do a night dive. I think 4/day will be our limit on this trip. Maybe do a Nitrox course on the next trip to increase our BT.

As for night dives I think CCV is probably easier but if FI is as accomodating then great. Not too keen though about having to keep my gear overnight if it's past 8pm but I assume it's dark by then. Plus in Cozumel they talk about twilight dives being great. Maybe it's a matter of going right after dinner but then I'd watch how much I'm eating. :D But you don't do a night dive every day. Well you can but I think 4 days during the day and maybe 1 or 2 days of 3 day dives + the night. Also one boat night dive is included in the price.

How would I get over to CCV for a tour? I need to contact someone to pick-up school supplies for the Roatan Children's Fund (Lynn gave me his name & #) and I know CCV is kind of their base.

I guess I'll wait until we do this visit to FI in 3 weeks and then decide. Still waiting for SunWing to post their June/September flights as they are the only ones flying direct non-stop Toronto to Roatan. They said they'd be posted at the end of the month.

Here is a question kind of off topic. We had originally planned a trip in September but someone said it was too risky because of hurricane season so we're thinking of June instead. How is the weather & diving in September versus June. Can't go later than September as it would be too close to our trip to Hong Kong in January 2012 with a side trip to dive in the Phillipines.

So many trips to plan :rofl3:

One more question please

Do both resorts have cruise ship people there during the day? I know I'm off diving most of the day but not too thrilled about more people at lunch time or at the pool. :depressed:

I have done both FI and CCV.

As everyone has said, it is easier to do more dives at CCV and that is what is most important to me.

The food was a little better at FI, however FI uses instant coffee. CCV had decent brewed coffee.

Bottom line: I would not hesitate to go back to CCV, and I won't be returning to FI.

When I was there, FI had an Espresso machine... And brewed cofee...

Betty, you could swim over to CCV (it's right accross the channel; maybe 500 yds), borrow a kayak to get over, or any other way... They are neighbours...

If I were in your shoes... Wait to go to FI before booking anything else. While there, try R-mans advice: go slow, look for small stuff... If you fall in love with the small stuff, the another trip to CCV even with 2 redundant dives to the same wreck/ reef will be awesome for you and your hubby. If not, you might even reconsider returning to Roatan for a 2nd trip...

When I did my DM course in the Philippines, I dove some sites (one of which was a wreck in 100 ft) over 10 times... I honnestly can't say any of my dives were boring, even when it was the same site! There was always new and exciting marine life that wasn't there the last time...

Go, see for yourself, You'll know if you'd like to return and even if diving the same spot repeatedly will get on your nerves...:coffee:

I have done both FI and CCV.

As everyone has said, it is easier to do more dives at CCV and that is what is most important to me.

The food was a little better at FI, however FI uses instant coffee. CCV had decent brewed coffee.

Bottom line: I would not hesitate to go back to CCV, and I won't be returning to FI.

Agreed with all. We do Coco because we can lay around and watch TV at home. it is really nice (once you acclimate) to be without TV for a week. We dont even get on the net. The isolation and quiet is amazing....along with a healthy nitrogen buzz.
We have been 4 times now. It is not Bonaire. No restraunts. No driving. The lack of freedom and the set schedule bother some but I only really feel free when i'm submerged.
Short of maybe a liveaboard it is really hard to get more water time. We wake up early so we hit the water as the sky is jsut showing light. Get a quiet dive, usually alone, get a shower and breakfast. 2 dives on the boat, a nap for her and photo download for me. Lunch, 2 more dives and a dusk ornight dive. Last trip in August I did 32 dives and 40 hours submerged! Crazy water time. Just be good to your ears.
I have yet to bore of the drop offs. they will drop you on either of the 2 walls, near or far from the exit. If conditions permit you can dive the top of the walls. Great critter hunting. Dive at 30' one dive, 40 the next, etc etc. It really changes it all.
If the wife ops out I will drop right on the wreck. It is amazing how much life comes out when you are alone. I usually get my best shots at those moments. It is usually about 20-30 minutes before the ones that dropped on the wall get there.
We bring our own coffee and French press. We bring M&m's and other snacks. We have never paid for additional meals but really, the cost of a meal is make or break?
I cant imagine going to Coco if I was not diving or just diving a little. If that were the case I would be in Bonaire.
Hope that helps. Have a great time.

Do both resorts have cruise ship people there during the day? I know I'm off diving most of the day but not too thrilled about more people at lunch time or at the pool.

At CCV, they do entertain the occasional Pod Person, but they arrange it so the regular guests literally never see them. They have figured out that most cruise ship divers who bother to come to CCV for a day dive are likely to return for a week... That's why they go through the bother- it costs more to provide than what they charge. They dive and are fed on a separate small island, and use a different boat.

You will really not see anyone at CCV for the entire week other than fellow divers, the staff, and invited artists who appear daily. No outsiders.

I don't know if FI does cruise shippers, hard to figure why not~ cash is king, but I don't know how they handle it. The website will undoubtedly improve in time, adding more info.

AKR is the dominant player in Cruise Ship visitors, but that resort serves as a thoroughfare for a nearby village, so it isn't like you would notice.

What I do know is that previously FI has always freely opened the resort to visits by locals who also use the facilities. You will likely see numerous islanders at the bars, the music parties, and the beach or recreation facilities. It is undoubtedly the safest environment anywhere on the Island if you want try to interact with Islanders (locals). They also have a fair volume of "yachties", or people that visit by boat. This is especially the case during Semana Santa (holy week) when FI is a'rockin'. A lot of things change there during that period of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom