Wreck diving and lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought strobes for night diving a few years ago. I don't use them anymore since I can see my buddy's primary light much more clearly than I can see the strobes.

At wreck and scuba diving sites in Coron Bay, Busuanga, Calamianes Islands, Palawan, Philippines. I can see that there are some wrecks that you can dive on, and some that can be penetrated. As some divers have cautioned, penetration should be attempted only if you are properly trained. Some wrecks have been partly cleared out so as to make penetration far less risky for non-wreck trained divers - they are swim-throughs in which, when attempted during the day, you can see daylight at the other side. Many non-wreck divers do such swim-throughs without incident.

A white flashing strobe should only be used for emergency situations.

I've been on a live-aboard where they required tank markers on the divers. I sat watch with one of the dry DM's and you could easily, easily track divers in the water by they tank makers. They looked like little blue and green ufo's.

I like the idea. I got a couple of glo tubes to stick on my regs.

Over the course of time, I found they were more trouble than they were worth.

I also found that it was cool to kill your lights underwater during a full moon and watch the bio luminescence out there. The tank marker wouldn't allow you to go completely dark.

I also found that it was easier to look for the moving primaries of my buddies than a tank marker.

Well, this has been illuminating! That's why I posted here, to learn. I do not have wreck diving training or certifications, though I've done a few easy wreck dives in Puerto Galera. So, I think I won't do any penetrations, unless perhaps, it's a swim through.

Oh, and the general message seems to be strobes are annoying, unless used in specific situations. Got it.

Perhaps I should have gone for that Wreck Diving certification, instead of the Deep Diving certification? That way, I would have been prepared.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Well, this has been illuminating!
:rofl3: (I get it, illuminating!)

.... I've done a few easy wreck dives in Puerto Galera....

Just so no one here has a further paroxysm, the wreck dives (at least the ones I have seen) in Puerto Galera (Sabang) are not in much the way of requiring a wreck certification. The barge can get some pretty strange currents, but the "sailboat" and the remnant timbers of a long-ago wreck are fine for almost anyone to prowl around.

That's why I posted here, to learn. I do not have wreck diving training or certifications, though I've done a few easy wreck dives in Puerto Galera. So, I think I won't do any penetrations, unless perhaps, it's a swim through.

The trouble with wreck penetration is that an access that appears 'easy' can rapidly turn into a very dangerous situation that you cannot escape from.

Few recreational divers would opt to enter a 'dangerous' wreck. They go into the 'easy' ones and then find themselves in unexpected trouble. The biggest problem is silt.

I've attached an excellent article which atmospherically illustrates the dangers of silt-out inside a confined space (wreck)...and how easily a 'simple' penetration can be life-threatening. From personal experience, I'd concur with how the silt-out is described.

Attachments

• Silt!.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 99
Except in an emergency a strobe should NEVER be used in such a way that it is visible on the surface. A strobe light is an internationally recognized distress signal. It means the same thing as firing off a flare gun and may well attract unwanted attention.

Tank markers are nice but I would not go for the strobe or at least have it set to strobe when diving.

Well, this has been illuminating! That's why I posted here, to learn. I do not have wreck diving training or certifications, though I've done a few easy wreck dives in Puerto Galera. So, I think I won't do any penetrations, unless perhaps, it's a swim through.

Oh, and the general message seems to be strobes are annoying, unless used in specific situations. Got it.

Perhaps I should have gone for that Wreck Diving certification, instead of the Deep Diving certification? That way, I would have been prepared.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Recreational wreck diving certification does not provide you with adequate training for wreck penetration. Technical wreck is different story but you have to be tek certified before you can enrol the course.
Most of the wrecks in Coron are pretty easy and I believe dive guide will be provided on every dive. Pay good attention to the pre-dive briefing. Irako and Akisusima are quite deep as well.
Have fun.

Greetings David as others have mentioned a strobe is usually used for emergency signal at the surface or trouble underwater.
I have seen a strobe used once when the vis was bad to mark the up-line.
By bad vis i mean less than 10ft.
It can be annoying when used just for a marker light.
Like others have mentioned a marker light is not always a bad idea but it depends on the dive operator.

If you are interested in Wreck Penetration seek the training as it is actually very risky even with the proper training.
There are many hazards inside a wreck and fish line, netting, cables, ropes all pose threats outside as well.
Be sure to take at least two cutting devices reachable with either hand!
Beware nasty fishing line I almost got hooked in MX on a dive, I am not joking it was everywhere!

Good luck and have fun!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom