Optimal Travel Back Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef,

Just a few months ago I went through this same dilemma as you just did. I finally decided that I had to have two of those OMS AL plates. I think you're really going to like it. IMO, it's a beautiful looking plate and has all kinds of holes and slots to provide mounting options galore. Plus, I'm partial to how it looks, it's just a really nicely finished plate.

I use one of them for tech diving with my steel doubles and the other I use for my tropical single tank diving with just a 18# wing and basic hog harness & cam straps.

I like to have different rigs setup so I can grab a setup and leave without having to waste time to reconfigure stuff. :D

Which one do you tend to use the most when traveling... and why?

I'm obviously not diver 85, but I plan to use a BP/W to travel. I like my Scout BC and have been happy with it, but a BP/W requires less lead weight and will ultimately pack up smaller (at least flatter).

I have not decided whether I will bring the AL plate or the Ultralight plate yet. I know I'll be bringing the 18lb. Extreme Wing, Hog harness, Stainless Steel Cam Bands, and two trim weight pockets.

Reef,

Just a few months ago I went through this same dilemma as you just did. I finally decided that I had to have two of those OMS AL plates. I think you're really going to like it. IMO, it's a beautiful looking plate and has all kinds of holes and slots to provide mounting options galore. Plus, I'm partial to how it looks, it's just a really nicely finished plate.

This is exactly what Edd at Cave Adventures told me when I asked "which aluminum plate".
I could find little to no information on the OMS AL plate, other than people do not like OMS's customer service in general, so I trusted Edd's choice.

I like to have different rigs setup so I can grab a setup and leave without having to waste time to reconfigure stuff. :D

I plan to try the 18lb. wing with both the AL and the Ultralight Plates, but for the most part, each wing will have it's own harness, cam bands, sex bolts.

I have the Oxycheq Ultra Light backplate and Oxycheq 18lbs Mach V.....very light and streamlined setup.

I have the Oxycheq Ultra Light backplate and Oxycheq 18lbs Mach V.....very light and streamlined setup.

Do you use the crotch strap?

I have not had time to try my UL Plate, 18lb. Extreme Wing, and hog harness yet. I have heard some say they do not need the crotch strap with this rig.

I'm also not sure if I will wear a weight belt in conjunction with, or put two extra weight pockets on the hog harness (besides the two cam band weight pockets I already have).

Do you use the crotch strap?

I have not had time to try my UL Plate, 18lb. Extreme Wing, and hog harness yet. I have heard some say they do not need the crotch strap with this rig.

I'm also not sure if I will wear a weight belt in conjunction with, or put two extra weight pockets on the hog harness (besides the two cam band weight pockets I already have).

I used a crotch strap as I found that the rig will ride up on my body if I don't. I personally don't like the idea of wearing weight belt so I used 2 cam band weight pockets. 2 extra weight pockets on your harness is fine too. It's really a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom