Evolution Divers: Malapascua Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmpaq20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from my 2nd Philippines and first trip to Malapascua last week. I spent the first week of my trip in China for business and the second week for diving. Coming from Hong Kong I flew to Cebu via Guam and Manila (had to for business leg). Landing in Cebu I had a private transport take me from the airport 2.5 hours north to the port whereby a private board tool me to Malapascua. Total travel time airport to Evolution was 3+ hours. Weather during the week was warm in the mid 80’s with a water temp in the 81-82 F range. Some rain early in the week but it cleared out nicely by mid week.

I have read many reviews and comments on Malapascua and it seems that you either like it or not. I liked it a great deal. The island is small with no cars and everything that you need comes from Cebu. There is no fresh water to bath with only brine and that means no hot water folks. Being raised on a beach near Boston that wasn’t a huge concern to me so long as the diving was good then I am fine :crafty:

Evolution is small postage stamp place that specializes in rec and tech diving. It is run by two gents Dave Joyce (Ireland) and Matt Reed (UK). They provide everything,, the diving, tech training, accommodations, food etc. They have a nice Irish bar that plays really good music. :guitarist:
The staff knows you as a person, not a number and treat you like such as they give you that individualized service that others do not. Simply said, the herd doesn’t stay or dive here and that is a very good thing.

The diver to dive master ratio was low diving in groups of 2-3 max diving 3-4 dives per day depending on interest. These guys go the extra mile, if you want to go to specific dive site just tell them and they will do everything that they can to get you there.

This was the baptismal of a new camera setup that I purchase over Xmas as I was shooting both macro and wide angle. My favorite sites were Gato Island, Bogtong bato as I was all over the soft corals that these 2 places had in place. Vis was okay, perhaps 20-30 feet. And no, I did not kneel at Monad shoals to wait for the Thresher sharks but really liked the dropoff wall next to it. Only the tech divers training at Evolution that were diving very deep saw the sharks.

What’s missing here is the technical education and diving that they provide. Matt Reed specializes in this and during my stay several divers were getting the various levels of education. If I needed tech training this would be the place where I would go without hesitation.

That's all I have, I plan on going back to Evolution next year for sure. For my pictures see the link below and click on the Malapascua gallery at the top.

yey! you had a great time!

so when are you coming back for those tech courses? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom