Dacor Olympic gear - Need help dating it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoever said that the only things to survive a nuclear war would be cockroaches and Twinkies never held a Dacor Olympic first stage. That thing is bulletproof. Mine breathes beautifully, but if it didn't, it would make a great boat anchor.

The 400's are a rock solid reg. Yours appear to be post '72. The only change they made was using a circlip to hold in the sintered filter after '72. The Olympics were made from 1969 to 1979 by the way. Clean them up and use them. You'll like them.

Jim
Some of your information appears to be off by one year.

According to the Dacor service manual recently posted here:
File Downloads
the star clip was replaced with a circlip starting Jan. 1, 1974.

Hey Grape Ape...u still have those 400's??? I can offer you $25.00 with shipping to 60191. Let me know if we have a deal.

Art

Shootin Squid... I do. If you can wait a week or two - let me get back to you. I am going to visit my LDS in a couple weeks to get my current gear inspected for the year and buy my first tanks. Since I am relatively new to diving I would like to get their opinion on the Dacor 1st and 2nd stage use/condition to potentially hold as a back-up. I'll let you know what they say about the their condition and decide after I talk to them. If I then want to unload - hopefully you are still interested.

FYI - Here are the pics of the Dacor 400 Olympic 1st and 2nd stages - hoses are in good shape - have been obviously replaced along the way

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 111
The original hose is 25" and has DACOR PRESSURE TESTED with a line between printed in dull orange every 6". The chrome is very high quality and therefore more salt eating proof and you can dent the first stage cap to heck with no effect because there is nix in there, and they used very good rubber.

And the yoke can handle current pressure and the bolt is huge and you can smash the knob off to no effect if you want, but then you will have no knob.

P10101715.JPG

And if you put a couple of crazy adaptors on there you can have a multitude of ports after all Dacor are the adaptor Kings and if you wanted to seal the first and had a spare pound of grease.

Have a look at how dented the top cap is and screws on and off like a breeze.

Very good.

Where's that manual?

I used a Dacor 400 from '73 to '80 and only gave it up when the shop I was teaching for insisted I use SP, which is what we sold. Never had any issues with it except the time I forgot to torque the jamb nut at the second stage. One cool thing I liked about the big cap on the first stage; you can store exta o-rings and a spare key to your ride in there. I sold "Old Faithful" for about $30 on ebay a few years ago-it was still in working order.

Edit: While I'm thinking of it, please examine your Farallon SPG. I had one and it developed an internal leak (bordon tube) The case gave way and the faceplate made an attempt at amputating my ear. There was no blowout plug incorporated into the housing.

Back
Top Bottom