Try Scuba Standards changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just curious,..... Anyone have any guess as to why SSI has put in ratios(6 students to 1 Dive pro or 2:1 if there is a child 12 or younger) for the Try Scuba Sessions in the pool into the standards? I realize a few things here- 1. Dive Cons can also do Try Scuba sessions. 2. You are working with people that have never been on scuba before. But if an OW instructor can work with OW students in the pool, & the ratios can be at the instructor's discretion. What is truly the difference? Most OW students have never been in scuba before either. I realize the OW student typically has the benefit of the home study & perhaps a classroom or online session or 2 before getting into the water. Those are the only differences I see. Personally, I like to keep my class sizes very conservative & am uncomfortable with working with more than 6 students without some assistance. Can I do it? Yes, I have done it, I'm just not entirely comfortable with large classes. My LDS has been gracious enough to keep my classes small, or if a larger one, provide me with assistants to help out. My question is more out of curiosity than anything.

Tammy,
6:1 is actually an increase, since it used to be 4:1. OW class still has restrictions of 8:1 (10:2 with certified assistant) and 4:1 if you have juniors. After many sessions of try scuba, I think these ratios are reasonable, and especially with young kids, 2 is more than enough to handle.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom