Diver hit by powerboat off Boca Raton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We regularly have to chase oncoming boats from our flags that are clearly visible. We actually had a fisherman try to gaff one of our floats attached to a diver on a scooter on Sunday. What I don't understand is that no boater education is required to allow someone to be at the helm of any vessel. Many boaters are out there with little or no knowledge of the rules of the road, and with little enforcement there is not much deterrence to bad boating habits. In defense of the boater in this case, when you are looking into the sun, seeing anything on top of the water can be difficult unless you are specifically looking for it.

Yes the sun, waves (or lack of them) and reflection and glare can really make it tough sometimes but too many people are just plain careless. They roar out of the inlet, go north or south full throttle and just don't truly pay attention. I'm a boater and a diver and when I see a boat that looks like it might have divers I steer clear and/or slow down regardless of whether I see a flag on the boat or in the water. IMO too many people just don't give a crap to be cautious, have no boater education regarding boater "rules of the road" and drive out there like they own the ocean.

Yes the sun, waves (or lack of them) and reflection and glare can really make it tough sometimes but too many people are just plain careless. They roar out of the inlet, go north or south full throttle and just don't truly pay attention. I'm a boater and a diver and when I see a boat that looks like it might have divers I steer clear and/or slow down regardless of whether I see a flag on the boat or in the water. IMO too many people just don't give a crap to be cautious, have no boater education regarding boater "rules of the road" and drive out there like they own the ocean.

I concur; the rules of the road are when driving in limited visibility, slow down!

I have read that the boat operator is very remorseful and cooperative with law enforcement. He didnt run off and lawyer up like the other ass**** did that hit Rob last year.
Not trying to say he is a good guy or anything but his actions after the incident are far better than the last guy that did this!

We actually had a fisherman try to gaff one of our floats attached to a diver on a scooter on Sunday. What I don't understand is that no boater education is required to allow someone to be at the helm of any vessel. Many boaters are out there with little or no knowledge of the rules of the road, and with little enforcement there is not much deterrence to bad boating habits.

Last year I had my 6' SMB gaffed by a 40' sport fishing boat while drift diving Ft. Lauderdale. I guess they were trying to get a better look at the "diver below" printed on the side of it.:shakehead:

Yes the penalties for boating violations need to be much greater. I had a speeding ticket and ended up paying a larger fine than the boater who hit Rob Murphy last year.:shocked2:

A few years ago I was attending a social function at a local marina & chatting with a group of power boaters. One of them commented that he had seen a bouy earlier that day with the same flag that I had on my hat. He asked me what the flag meant. I was a bit supprised and asked the other 8-10 people at the table if they knew. Of about 10 boaters only two knew what the diver down flag meant and neither of them knew that they were required by law to maintain distance from the flag.

I have to train/study & test in order to operate a moped but not a 40' power boat. Now that makes sense...........

This sucks. I wish the victim a speedy recovery.

I have much respect for our marine law enforcement agencies, but it's high time they start enforcing the 300-feet dive flag regulations. (i.e. a focused enforcement campaign, ticketing boaters who operate within the 300'). I see the FWC and USCG enforce many other types of regulations, but almost none of those regulations have the life-threatening implications of the Divers-Down Flag regulation.

Just like a marine patrol officer will stop his boat on the ICWW and look for speeders, the police need to be offshore looking for boaters violating this law. It happens all the time.

I emailed the reporter, Wayne Roustan, who authored the news articles about this most recent accident. I encouraged him to contact the USCG Sector Miami, the FWC, and local agencies with a Freedom of Information Act Request, asking:
1. In the last 12 months, how many enforcement operations has your agency conducted, targeting boats violating the dive-flag regulations?
2. Of those operations, how many boaters were ticketed?
3. How often does your agency conduct these enforcement campaigns now?
3. What is the penalty for a boater operating his vessel within 300' of a dive flag?

Hopefully he'll make those inquiries... I sure would like to know the answers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom