Fort Myers Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going to make a quick trip to Ft Myers in February and wanted to know what local diving would be like. Is it worth lugging my gear accross country?

The gulf is currentyl COLD. 50-55 degrees. If you can handle that you should be OK. The vis is generally better when the water is colder but it is not as good as the east coast.
If you want warmer water and better vis, you could easily drive to Jupiter and dive there.
I feel it would be worth it to bring your gear!
You can always dive a spring if you want gin-clear water!

Is there a dive shop in Fort Meyers that does local dives? When we were there in November we couldn't find anyone who would take us out into the gulf to go dive wrecks. All the trips were weekend trips to the Keys.

I dont live in the Ft. Myers area. I am located about an hour north of Tampa.
Many of the dive operators on the gulf side dont go out every day of the week, especially when the water is cold. Just not enough business.
I generally charter boats in the Clearwater area. Capt Rod with the plunger 727-443-6731 is a great Captn!

Not much going on in the FM area this time of year. If you don't mind heading a couple of hours east, hit up Fort Lauderdale, or go a bit further to the Keys.

Your best bet is to head east to West Palm, Fort Lauderdale or Key Largo...

Cheers.

-J.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll head down to the Keys for a day or two, now to convince the boss it's all part of the job:D

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll head down to the Keys for a day or two, now to convince the boss it's all part of the job:D

You have the correct advice and have reached the obvious conclusion :)

Give us an idea of what you do and we'll figure how to get your boss to buy off on a two day visit across the state :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom