D90 housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swgdesign

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been shooting compact(ISUX 950 IS + INON lenses) for about 4 years now and am very happy with my level of photography (mostly macro), but for the last year or 2 I have felt the need to master the next level due to limitations of compact cameras.

After weeks and weeks of research between the EOS 550d and D90 I chose the D90. I should be picking it up in 2 weeks. A month or 2 after I'll be picking up a Tokina 10-17 and a the Nikkor 60mm f2.8 lens for macro work.

Anyways, back to my question...I have been looking at housings and really fancy the Nauticam NA-d90 as it is very compact and the control positioning I feel is so ergonomic to both hands. The only problem is that I do not know of a UK stockist and so have not been able to get my hands on one to have play.

Can anyone comment on this housing please?

I have ruled out the Ikelite model due to features and bulkiness and Sea&Sea do not make a housing as far as I know for the D90, but make the RDX550 for the Eos. Subal and Huggy are too expensive and I feel are not as streamlined.

Many thanks
Simon

I'm in the same boat, but i think I'll end up with the Ikelite due to it being about $1000 less than any other unit on the market.

The Ikelite is not sooo bulky as everybody says and it's a fine housing considering the price.
I like mine and when you have the one with the port latches it will be more than fine.
Get the 8'' dome as the 6'' may have problems with soft corners even with a +3 diopter.

Chris

I was in the same boat. My old P&S died. I already had the D90 so I jsut needed a housing. After alot fo research I stepped into the Nauticam housing. you simply cant go wrong. Great feel from the controls. Everything you need at your finger tips. The video option is controlled with a very cleaver lever that requires jsut your thumb without letting go of the grips. I highly reccomend this housing and ports.
The Aquatica housing is supposed to be very good as well. That said, from what I understand, the only real weakness of the d90 is the plastic shutter release. It sounds like the Aquatica housing puts a bit of side load on the trigger (shutter realease). I have read reports about broken triggers. This is by no means a knock on Aquatica jsut a Nikon issue. The nauticam housing hits the release almost strainght on and I have read of no failure with this housing. I have had no problems at all with the housing.
The nauticam is very compact. It offers both fiberoptic and bulkhead for the strobes. I dont think fiberoptic is an option for Aquatica.
Hope this helps.

I have been shooting with the D90 for a while now and I started out with an Ikelite housing and more recently moved into an Aquatica setup.

I moved away from Ikelite as the housing wasnt handling the regular use which I was putting it through and the controls were getting sloppy and not to mention rust on the so called stainless steel latches.

I didnt like the bulk of the Ikelite and the limitation regarding viewfinders and other port setups like the 4 inch mini domes etc etc.

I ended up selling all my Ikelite ports, housings, zoom gears etc etc and invested the money in the Aquatica. I also had a look at Nauticam housing but I prefered the basic layout of the Aquatica and the fact that they have been in the industry for a while.

I like how compact the metal housing is and also how well everything comes together. Big change from the controls on the ikelite. I liked that the ports are metal and give a nice secure feel when they lock together. The port issue with Ikelite has been a concern with me for a while. I requested the 4 port locking system a few years ago along with alot of other changes which you now find on the new Ikelite housings.

All in all if you have a budget and dont do dive much the Ikelite setup will serve you well. But if your looking at a more professional or more industrial setup a machine metal housing would be more suited to your needs.

Regarding the Aquatica housing issue with the shutter release. Aquatica have made a part which simply replaces the current on and off switch and makes a more positive connection to the plastic shutter release of the D90.

Aquatica come out with a Hybrid bulkhead which means you can use optical and wired sync cords and offeres best of both worlds.

Cheers Mark

That was my experience with the ike housing I had for my D70. The controls were slipping a fair bit, moreso the deeper I dove. The aquatica housings I've owned since then have all had precise and responsive controls at any depth I dive to.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Someone today threw a spanner in the works...

"Why not go for a d300s instead of the d90, considering you won't upgrade it for decades, or a EOS 7D"

I thought I had made my mind up but now it seems I have to decide between the d90,d300s,EOS 7D!

Back
Top Bottom