Anchor Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Boaters:

I found an anchor on a local lake dive today and have never seen its like. (My sailing days were mostly blue-water, and the Bruce design was new back when I was learning the ropes.) This anchor has a rudimentary fluke pair welded to each end of an eighteen-inch-long pipe with another eighteen-inch pipe section as shank.

It's coated with black plastic and weighs about 25 pounds. If anyone can identify it by type or make I'd appreciate hearing from you. Or maybe it's a custom or local item.

Best regards,
Bryan

Attachments

• Anchor_2010-09-05_2.jpg
    Anchor_2010-09-05_2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 987
I don't think that's an anchor, it looks like a device I've seen used for dragging the bottom.

It doesn't look like a typical anchor but it's rigged so the ring link is a breakaway in case the anchor is stuck so it must be an anchor for some specific use or area.

I've seen similar designs referred to as 'River Anchor' also. They too were coated in rubber.

...but I've always wondered why.

I have one of those, I found last year it is very rusty and no rubber. I would say it is a drag anchor for fishing we have a very strong current here in the St.Clair river. I think that is why the flukes are so small on it, so they will not bite in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom