How do you get in shape for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I eat 4-5 times a day small meals to keep the metabolism up. I swim a lot too which really helps. Many many laps builds up cardio, stamina, and sheds off pounds.

Run, mt. bike, swim plus body oriented weight training (push ups, pull ups, sit ups, rope climb etc...). Switch it up every so often and always push yourself to go harder, longer and stronger.

I work out at a gym, Monday through Friday ... typically for 60-70 minutes.

The first part is weight training, which involves a rotation of several routines. I pick a different routine each day ... typically with 5 to 7 different stations, each targeting different muscles. I'll work through a cycle of doing a set at each station, then repeat the cycle two or three times, depending on how many stations I'm working at on that given day. I always end my cycle with a "core" set ... something like crunches, or sit-ups on an inclined bench while holding a 10-lb medicine ball ... something that focuses on abdominal strength.

The second part of the workout is cardio ... depending on the machine it'll be between 30 and 45 minutes. Elliptical and bicycle get the longest sets ... treadmill and stairmaster get the shortest because they're more intensive.

I found that the key to sticking with it is two-fold ... first, get into a routine and don't allow yourself to find reasons to break the routine. I'm at the gym every weekday morning at 5 AM, when it opens. I have workout partners who meet me there, and we work out together. Second is set short-term goals for yourself, and work toward meeting them. Choose achievable goals, and once met, set another goal.

Personally, I found that working out doesn't really do much to remove weight ... and working out makes me hungry. So after a few months, I decided not to make my goals about body weight, but about performance ... such as reaching a particular weight on a machine ... or being able to perform a certain number of reps at a given weight ... something that makes me push myself. On the cardio systems, it's about being able to maintain a given resistance level for a specified period of time. Those kind of goals help you take it seriously enough to not get complacent ... but you also need to be careful not to get too aggressive and hurt yourself. For the first year, I hired a trainer I could work with once a week to help me develop my workout routine. It was well worth the investment.

You can also establish long-term goals. For example, I'll be 59 on Sunday ... my current long-term goal is to be in better shape at 60 than I am at 59. Having that goal will make it easier to keep me motivated to get into the gym day in and day out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I alternate between p-90x and insanity (some days doing both. I like insanity better for the cardio) at home for weights and cardio. When I'm doing p-90x it's slightly lighter weights than I would normally use as I'm going for lean muscle. A couple of days a week I head off to the gym with a friend of mine where we do heavier weights for strength training (finding our max weights, bear and century workouts, etc). Also, eating right is a good thing.

1- 1000 yards in the pool, three times a week, fins and snorkel, no arm motion, just legs.
2- After pool workout, one half hour on the machines for arm muscles, lower back and stomach muscles.

I do a variety of things. It's winter here and we don't have an indoor pool SSSSOOOOOOOO...... I use the home gym.

The bike is on a trainer. I ride that 3 or 4 times a week for 45 min. I use Leslie Sasone's DVD's for the treadmill. It kicks my butt. We also have a recumbant stepper. I do cardio daily and I work my core daily using a stability ball and weighted balls. I do a lot of resistance band work for strength training as we don't have free weights or a weight machine. When I travel, I pack a jump rope and good walking shoes. I also do yoga to stay flexible.

I vary my cardio because I get bored fast.

I enjoy water aerobics, either shallow or deep water. I wear aqua tennis shoes in the pool and that creates more resistance. I go to the classes at the Y. That helps me stay with it. I do not like walking in circles around tracks, actually after the first lap, I would rather jam an ice pick through my ear than do another lap. I feel like a hamster. I can go to the state park and walk the trails but not tracks. After class, my daughter and I practice our strokes and breathing for swimming and horse around in the water. I will put on fins and kick up and back in the lanes using a kickboard.

I hit the gym 4 days per week...I do 30-45 minutes of cardio, and some weight training...legs, and back mostly.

Back
Top Bottom