Moustaches and mask flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my bearded days I would shave a narrow strip immediately under my nose, which really didn't affect my moustache very much. My mask sealed perectly. Small price to pay for diving, IMHO.

I do the same thing . And have been doing it for 2 years know with little problem . there are time I get a little leak i just make a small adjustment to mask and problem solved . good luck. Once he starts diving he will relize how wirth it it is to just shaving a little.AND HOW LITTLE IT HERTS.

I had no problem with my Tusa Liberator sealing. I got a Promate for a backup Rx mask and found I had to shave the smallest space under my nose to make it seal. So for me, it's a matter of mask design, and the difference was so slight that I suspect a bit of wax or silicone grease would also have worked. I suspect leakage has more to do with the contour of the skin area under the mustache and mask than the mustache itself.

I look for a higher cut mask under the nose. Some LDS' tout them as made for mustaches. I have an Atomic now that works well but I also have cheaper masks that work. I also shave a small strip under my nose but usually the night before. Additionally I found that silicone applied to the mustache in the areas covered by the mask helps also. Trident makes it and it comes in a tube like Chapstick. I have used Chapstick but it is petroleum based and, long term, is not good for silicone mask skirts.

He'll have to try a lot of different masks.

You might recognise the guy below from the TV. He's a diver too. If *he* can get a mask that fits, then anyone can. :)

In my own experience, the mask will always let a little water in but it will not "flood". You get used to the slight leakage though. It's definitely not a show-stopper.

jamie-hyneman-1.jpg

(incidentally, does anyone else think that Hyneman's 'stash is proof positive that he is to geeks what geeks are to the rest of us? This facial hair is really only in proper context with the butt-crack showing, isn't it?)

R..

I think he should try a few masks before trying the razor...while my "stash" isn't quite like Jamie's it is very full and long. I found a few Scuba Pro and TUSA masks that fit with no trouble. I dive 5 or 6 times a week in all sorts of conditions and depths and usually only have to clear my mask when I'm giving demos to students.
Let us know how you like the sport.

I recently dived with someone with a significant 'tache and he was saying he always has problems getting a solid seal, but I'm guessing he doesn't dive frequently enough to justify losing it. I imagine it just involves more frequent clearing and depends how much of an annoyance it is.

He'll have to try a lot of different masks.

You might recognise the guy below from the TV. He's a diver too. If *he* can get a mask that fits, then anyone can. :)

In my own experience, the mask will always let a little water in but it will not "flood". You get used to the slight leakage though. It's definitely not a show-stopper.

jamie-hyneman-1.jpg

(incidentally, does anyone else think that Hyneman's 'stash is proof positive that he is to geeks what geeks are to the rest of us? This facial hair is really only in proper context with the butt-crack showing, isn't it?)

R..

HA!!! Perfect example! If this guy can keep his mask clear then anybody can, right?

Btw there is no butt-crack issue...thank god!

I do a little trimming...but I also carry a sunscreen stick (looks like a big Chapstick) in my mask case, and I lube the stache before putting on my mask...like a walrus, I ALSO like a 'tight seal'! :rofl3:

Just trim the area right under the nose to give a little skin for the mask to suck to. Most of the time that works for anyone with a mustache.

Not a worry. In the open water you start off in the pool ! So no real worry if the mask leaks a lot! The instructor will surley give him a refund if he decides not to proceed to ocean diving because of mask leaking. So he can choose in the end !

Back
Top Bottom