Exotosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have made over 3000 dives since 1985. In the last few years I have had trouble equalizing in my right ear. My ENT checked it out and stated that I had Exotosis (extra bone growth in the ear due to frequent cold water diving). There is a medical proceedure to scrape the bone growth out. Has anyone encountered this problem and what have you done about it?

The ENT conducting the surgery may choose one of two entries: transcanal (through the ear canal) vs. postauricular (behind the ear). It appears that the best long-term outcome is associated with the postauricular procedure.

Joni Doherty here at UCSD has composed a nice essay on exostoses. It should answer a lot of your questions about the condition and its treatment. Hope this info helps...

Thanks for the article. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through now at my age. But I will research the MD's around here and see what they think.

Thanks
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom