Poll: How does your mouth hold your reg?

How do you hold your mouthpiece?

• I bite down.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I just let it hang there.

Votes: 60 50.8%
  • Depends, I'm not consistent enough.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I've never really noticed. (O.O)

Votes: 17 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use the comfo-bite. No jaw fatigue. With a regular mouthpiece, I used to have call dives because my jaw hurt a ridiculous amount.

I have recently purchased my first regulator. Its a Cressi Balanced second stage. I absolutely love this regulator. But, the bite tabs on the mouthpiece don't go back very far. I feel like I'm having to bit down with teeth close to the front of my mouth. Not real comfortable. I have recently purchased a Innovative Scuba Comfort Cushion Mouthpiece which feels nice because it is longer which allows me use my back teeth to hold the regulator. I haven't put it on yet because I want to give the Cressi factory one enough time to decide I really don't like it. I'll let you know in the future but, I'm pretty sure that my TMJ Syndrome will like the larger bite area.

Using a comfo-bite, I can sort of let it just hang with just a little bite... so i guess its a mix of both.

I got one of those from Scuba Toys for about $5 and it is much more comfortable and I have way less jaw fatigue.

I guess I'm pretty tolerant of a loose grip. I had read of jaw fatigue, so on my first dive, I took some time to focus on how I was doing it and found I wasn't really putting much into it. I seem to let the mouthpiece move around a lot. Just not feeling the need to consciously bite. But getting some water in past it doesn't affect me much. Maybe I'll run into a regulator that I can't handle so casually, but so far, Scubapro and Mares haven't needed much effort.

Mine hang there although I need to come up with a better solution because I tend to come out of the water with a wicked underbite and it feels funny... Also tends to hurt my jaw trying to bring it back in...
If you are using a SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece, and feel like your jaw is out of position after you dive, you should re-mold the mouthpiece. It sounds like you had your lower jaw too far forward when you molded it the first time. Just try to bite down naturally on your back teeth when you mold it and that should take care of the problem.

SeaCure affects the performance of the SS!! I used to use it but after testing the regulator with and without it, there is definitely a difference. We verified this information with the manufacturers of the regs. You probably notice that the SeaCure opening is smaller than the SS opening and thus affecting the air flow.
Are you using the newer Hi-Flow SeaCure mouthpiece? The Hi-FLow has a larger opening than the previous Sport model. If you are still using a Sport model, you may find that the Hi-Flow will work better for you.

My favorite mouthpiece was the older circa 1990s Sherwood mouthpiece. Now I use an inexpensive one from the local shop that has just two small bite tabs. I've tried the comfobite and seacure, but they just felt like I had too much stuff in my mouth and it felt like I was biting down too much. Everyone's different though, so go with what works for you. I do not bite down heavily on mouthpieces, they just hang there. I am a pretty relaxed diver. I've been accused of snoring on dives before....

I have to bite down much less now that I have a SeaCure mouthpiece, but I still do a little. With a standard mouthpiece I had to bite down pretty hard to hold it in place.
+1 on the SEACURE mouthpiece

Back
Top Bottom