Ozone & Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms

Contributor
Reaction score
My neoprene drysuit (pictured here) uses a fairly inexpensive 120V AC blower to push air. I have always wondered if I was exposing my suits to ozone by using this blower, but was never particularly concerned. But now after reading several other threads about DIY gear dryers, I am thinking it might be best to use a brushless motor.

Could I be damaging my suits by using my dryer? If the consensus is yes, I will buy a brushless blower, but I'd rather avoid a $200-$300 addition to (what is otherwise) an excellent piece of equipment.

dryerwithsuitbackdetail.jpg

wow thats insane! yes the ozone will over time break down the materials,you got a leak on this suit? my neo dry suit never needs drying on the inside? and it aint stinky!
cool set up!

you got a leak on this suit? !
This pic is a couple of years old and I don't wear this particular suit anymore.

my neo dry suit never needs drying on the inside? and it aint stinky!
Since I work in my drysuit and wear it 5-7+ hours a day, even if it doesn't leak (and my current Bare Pro Dry D6 does not), it does get damp inside from perspiration. This time of year, it won't dry by itself overnight, hence the dryer. And (as we all know) no drysuit stays truly dry forever, it does a great job of drying a suit when it actually does get wet inside from a leak.

I'm just wondering how much I could potentially be damaging my suits using this dryer. I've worn Harvey's neoprene suits for years and the last few I had seemed to get leaky real fast. Now I'm wondering if the dryer may have facilitated that.

usually (as far as i know) only dc motors are brushed and produce ozone due to variance in electrical contacts as the drive shaft rotates. *usually* ac motors (again, as far as i know) don't produce the sparking, and therefore ozone, that dc motors do because the motor is actuated differently.

it'd be interesting to see if your ac motor does produce ozone and to what levels and if there is an appreciable degradation in suit quality over time.

usually (as far as i know) only dc motors are brushed and produce ozone due to variance in electrical contacts as the drive shaft rotates. *usually* ac motors (again, as far as i know) don't produce the sparking, and therefore ozone, that dc motors do because the motor is actuated differently.

it'd be interesting to see if your ac motor does produce ozone and to what levels and if there is an appreciable degradation in suit quality over time.
That is very interesting, the difference between AC & DC motors. I have been limiting my drysuit's time on the dryer because I was worried, but this helps put my mind at ease. Thanks for the info.

That is very interesting, the difference between AC & DC motors. I have been limiting my drysuit's time on the dryer because I was worried, but this helps put my mind at ease. Thanks for the info.

Ozone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scroll down to the last sentence under: Ozone cracking
Storing rubber products in close proximity to DC electric motors can accelerate the rate at which ozone cracking occurs. The commutator of the motor creates sparks which in turn produce ozone.

Another option is to use a squirrel cage fan with a separate motor connected by a drive shaft. Most small electric blowers use the fan’s air flow to cool the motor, but estimating from the unit in the photo, it is in the size range where you can find them separated.

12v camping / cooling fan, found @ ExplorOz Forum

DISCLAIMER
Link posted as guide only.

No responsibility accepted for home built contraptions
either, drying too quickly or drying too slowly or not.

And for those that don't still have all the Cell adapters they've ever owned
in the spare room next to all the superseded for parts computer boxes full
of fans.

Very good.

I get my huge shoulder shaped hollow plastic hangars from the mannequin shop

Last edited:
It is funny, I am studying the mechanism of Ozone cracking in class right now. The Ozone attacks the double bond in the neoprene polymer. This shortens the polymer chains reducing strength. Eventually this forms cracks that allow the ozone to penetrate deeper into the material attacking again and further degrading the structure. Of course this is just the mechanism, the kinetics are beyond my current chemistry skill set. I will post a graphic of the mechanism once my prof confirms my work is correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom