Lots of Cave Diving in a week- Jan.28- Feb. 5 Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Left Evansville Fri. Morning Jan 28th after work. I rode in my instructor's (Larry) truck with a guy from my full cave class (Wes). Larry flew down. Wes & I took his truck & equipment down to him. Wes wanted to drive the entire way, so I kept him company. We were on the road by 7:30 am. We got into Luraville, to the Cave Excursions rental trailers about 8:00 pm, after eating dinner, meeting up with a 2 cave students (Jon & Steve) & another cave diver (Stan). We found out that Larry's flight was very delayed, so Steve, Wes & I went on to Luraville. Jon & Stan rode together in Jon's truck, Wes & I rode together in Larry's truck & Steve drove his own car. Larry, Jon & Stan arrived about 9:00 pm. By then I had been up almost 35 hrs. I was dead tired.

Jan. 29th- Peacock Springs- Did a day of Tune- up dives for Wes, Stan & I, while Larry did an Intro class with Jon & Steve. We did a traverse from Peacock 1, main tunnel to Olsen Sink About 1000 ft, we also set up a reel for a crossover tunnel circuit. Decent dive Depth: 65 ft, Time: 77 min. Second dive was down the Peanut Tunnel to the restriction at about 1900 ft. Very good dive. Sorted out a bunch of things. Depth: 51 ft, Time: 77 min.

Jan. 30th- Peacock Springs- Dive 1- Larry was still teaching Intro. We went ahead & did the crossover circuit With Stan & Wes. Depth: 63 ft, 63 min. Dive 2- Stan was needed as a buddy for the Intro class, because Jon had honestly decided that cave diving was not for him & was going back home. Wes & I cleaned up the reels we used for the circuit, I practiced carrying & swimming with a stage on that dive. & came back. Depth: 53 ft, Time: 59 min. Jon decided to fly back home & leave his work truck he brought down for us to use & Stan to drive back at the end. We took Jon to the airport to head home. He felt terrible, but everyone in the group had the utmost respect for him, his honesty & the decision he made. Here's to you Jon!!!

Jan. 31- Peacock Springs- Dive 1- Larry started his Full cave Course with Steve. I did my first ever dive in Orange grove. I have probably nearly 30 or so dives in Peacock Springs, since I began my cave training, but had never been in Orange Grove. I went with Stan & Wes. We made it all the way to Challenge Sink on 1/3's but barely. Depth: 56 ft, Time: 89 min. Did not do a second dive, we decided to rest up a bit for the next morning at Ginnie Springs.

Feb. 1- Ginnie Springs- Dive 1- Stan, Wes & I followed Larry & his class up the main line to 900 ft to the Maple Leaf formation, just to get used to Ginnie's flow again. Depth: 93 ft, 61 min. Dive 2- Stan, Wes & I tried to do the Roller Coaster tunnel back to the main line. I got to fighting the current through the lips & to the Junction Room & got to 1/3's before we got to the tunnel & had to turn the dive. Depth: 94 ft, Time: 85 min.

Feb. 2- Ginnie Springs- Dive 1- Stan, Wes & I attempted the Roller Coaster Tunnel again. I led & set the pace (very slow!) & we made it! With plenty of gas to spare. Depth: 103 ft, time: 87 min. Dive 2- We went up the Hill 400 Tunnel. We met Larry & his student coming back on the way. I wound up cutting the dive short when I mistook Larry's signal to go on past him & his student, as a signal for our group to turn around also. Oops.... We still made it to the 700 ft mark on Hill 400. Depth: 93 ft, Time: 85 min. I am slowly learning how to work the high flow parts of Ginnie.

Feb. 3- Peacock Springs- Dive 1- I was going to dive with the group to do the Grand Traverse,... but the lingering question of whether I had the air consumption capabilities to do it was an issue. I did not want to ruin anyone's dive, so Stan & I decided to go up the Peanut Line, lay reels at the entrance, Crossover tunnel, & through Olsen sink, for the rest of the group doing the Grand Traverse. I made it to Olsen & 250 ft past it to the Challenge Sink side with plenty of gas, when we met up with Larry, Wes & Steve doing the Traverse & turned & joined them. They followed the reels we had set & Stan & I cleaned up the reels behind ourselves. Wasn't able to do the Traverse, But was able to be the support they needed, to make the dive they wanted to do. Just as important. That was Steve's graduation dive. Depth: 61 ft, Time: 87 min. Dive 2- Wes, Steve, Stan & I all decided to do another dive. Larry did not want to dive again, so we went as a group of 2 teams with 2 divers each. We decided that we would all turn at the same time & in an emergency, be 2 separate teams. Stan & Steve buddied up & Wes & I buddied up, following Steve & Stan. We decided to go up the main line to the Nicholson Tunnel & then jump onto the Cisteen Tunnel until we reached Cisteen Sink or reached 1/3's. We did quite well in not stirring the silt up, for so many divers in a small area. we hit 1/3's & turned a couple hundred ft from the sink. It was very cold & very tanic & murky in there. Depth: 65 ft, Time: 90 min.

Feb. 4- Ginnie Springs- Dive 1- Larry took Wes to Work on some Stage Training, So Stan, Steve & I decided to go up Hill 400 again until 1/3's. I finally started to master the flow in Ginnie (now, if I can just remember it next time I'm down there). We made it to the 1000 ft mark in the tunnel & I still had 300 psi until 1/3's. Stan called the dive, he was tired of swimming. I was absolutely thrilled!!!!!!! to have done so well. Depth: 93 ft, Time: 73 min. Dive 2- Larry & Wes decided not to dive any more (Larry, because of his flight the next morning; Wes was just tired). Stan, Steve & I Decided to try to get to the White Room. As we went into the Ear, Steve's primary light went out, He signaled me with his back- up light & we went back to the surface to wait for him to get another light. Once back down in the Gallery, We noticed that Steve also had a reel that had come unspooled. It took several minutes to get it corrected. We went on the dive, but had used enough air dealing with the issues that there was not enough to make it all the way. I had to turn the dive at 100 ft short of the jump to the White Room. Depth: 87 ft, Time: 66 min.

We left Luraville at about 2:30 am this morning & was back home in the cold, wet white KY by noon. Picked up my critters & got groceries & writing up this report. Overall, very good dives, I had my struggles, challenges & my "aha!" moments where I learned a great deal & most of all,... had a blast! Even though Larry was there, teaching, these were the first cave dives that I had done without him being right there & with other divers. It was definitely a growing session for me as a diver. It was also great to see Bill Rennaker & Linda Rennaker Straight again. We are kind of looking at doing the end of April at this point to return. I'm already ready to go back to Cave Country....... My home away from home.

Great report. Thanks from all of us who can't get there as often as we'd like.

Thanks for the report for those of us still in hybernation farther north.

Looks like I missed you at both Peacock and Ginnie by a day. Glad you had nice dives. :)

One of the great things about cave diving is that your training is never over . . . the cave keeps throwing new questions at you, and each dive can have things come up that you haven't dealt with before. I love the debriefs, because I am always learning. And diving without an instructor or guide, and/or without anybody with any more experience than you have, is a completely different experience, and really makes you grow.

Fun to read, Tammy -- I'm so glad you're finally "there"!

One of the great things about cave diving is that your training is never over . . . the cave keeps throwing new questions at you, and each dive can have things come up that you haven't dealt with before. I love the debriefs, because I am always learning. And diving without an instructor or guide, and/or without anybody with any more experience than you have, is a completely different experience, and really makes you grow.

Fun to read, Tammy -- I'm so glad you're finally "there"!

That is so absolutely true!

TAMMY YEA HAW! You made it and really got some awesome dives in!
There is nothing like it, youtube, reports, books, etc. YOU HAVE TO BE THERE!
Man it is good to hear your report, I know how hard it was for you being thwarted in your attempts to get down to dive.

I was just kicked in the teeth and lost my Full Cave training vacation due to unexpected family vacation requirements. I was not happy but chose to remain married instead of the other option.
I am trying to work things out with my employer to squeeze it in but it is not looking very good.
I am blazing down to JB for a weekend at the end of this month and back to Lauraville for spring break with the family. Part of the reason I had to give into the other demands!

Great report, I really enjoyed the Cross over last trip.
Orange Grove is a nice dive as well, we did not make it to Challenge but did a awesome cavern sweep on our exit. I really enjoyed both.

Get back down ASAP! It has become my mission and I am onto a cool option if it works out.
A friend purchases vehicles in Orlando and wishes me to drive them home.
He will fly me down, gas card, and I can stop and dive on the way back!
I am currently compacting gear and working out the details but if it goes well I will be a happy caver!

Have a great week Tammy!
CamG

Thanks Cam, it was a great week of diving! I'm really looking forward to going back again in April. I am basically writing off the one buddy I've been trying to go down with & keeps canceling on me. For someone who was chomping at the bit so hard for me to get my full cave cert. because he was retired & I have at least 1 week off every 5 weeks, He now has a consulting business & is working more now, than before he retired. I'm just tired of the disappointments, so I'm not even going to try to get another trip with him going, if he comes to me wanting to go & has something solid & "in stone', then I may go, but I'm not taking the initiative anymore. I'm going to keep getting experience when I can, even though it is not as often as I would like it to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom