Know of any good authentic restaurants for between dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

um, ALL the Mexican restaurants on Coz are authentic...it's Mexico!!
Some may make the food in the style of a different region of the country than you are used to, but they are all pretty much authentic.

another vote for Casa Denis

Well, I wouldn't quite say that about Margaritaville, Señor Frogs, etc.

There's a great taco place across the street from the San Francisco supermarket. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it but we eat there every time we go to Coz, usually more than once. It's right across the street, painted bright yellow on all the walls, and has the menu painted right on the wall. Really good tacos el pastor! It has been a hit with everyone we've ever taken there.

There's a great taco place across the street from the San Francisco supermarket. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it but we eat there every time we go to Coz, usually more than once. It's right across the street, painted bright yellow on all the walls, and has the menu painted right on the wall. Really good tacos el pastor! It has been a hit with everyone we've ever taken there.

Its my favorite and called El Pique!!

For the closest to your location, Sabores for the afternoon, El Foco for the evening. Love them! But beware the pico at El Foco ;-) Hot!!! (but yummy)

When I was there a few years ago, we ate at a little hole in the wall a couple of doors down from Tony Romes. Many locals were there and the food was good. No roving musicians or people selling pictures. I don't think they had menus in English either. I don't remember what the name was, I just remember there being notes written on the wall in marker by recent visitors.

El Picque is great.The place right down the street on the same side is also good.You might want to get a take out mesquite chicken in 1 of the places on 30th which is now Pedro Coldwell.

For the closest to your location, Sabores for the afternoon, El Foco for the evening. Love them! But beware the pico at El Foco ;-) Hot!!! (but yummy)

Best meal of my trip was at El Foco (signed the wall upstairs too).

Bob (Toronto)

Overally, Christi's Restaurant List is probably your best bet as a jumping-off point.

My own short-list includes:

El Pique for tacos
Los Chilangos for huaraches
Los 3 Gatitos for panuchos and salbutes
Los Otates for posole and tacos
La Candela for home-style meals and nice Tikin Xic (fish in banana leaves and achiote)
Parilla Mission for breakfast, home-style meals, tortas, and arrachera (open breakfast to supper)
Camilo's for shrimp and fish tacos
El Capi Navegante for seafood (my kid loves their octopus ceviche)
La Choza for breakfast (this is another all-day place but doesn't float my boat apart from breakfast. Many people adore it, but I think La Candela is better.)
Kinta for fancy, creative Mexican dinners
El Super Hit has tortas de cochinita that are nice to take for lunch on the plane home

Note that some of these places are lunch-only, most dinner-only.

There are many more, and everyone has their favorites. I love me some fancy food, but in San Miguel de Cozumel we always seem to end up going more mid-range or quick, cheap eats and loving every bite.

"Authentic Mexican" covers an awful lot of territory, so if there's something in particular you're looking for it might help to specify that.

Back
Top Bottom