How Miflex HP ruined my dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know why people keep giving milflex a chance.

Epic Fail, end of story.

Just use normal hoses, they work fine, they are cheap, replace them every few years if (big if) the outer covering blisters but long before they fail.

I use DS4's on aluminum and prefer the braided lines in the tighter bends......never had a problem with Miflex LP, but now I buy Phantom instead due to Miflex's lack of attention to this problem........they are nicer anyway....

I think a lot of the blistering has to do with the manufacturer of the hose. I use mk25s as well, and angle each one the same way (mirror image, of course). My backup reg has never blistered (ever), but the last inflater hose I had on there did.

That said, the hose never leaked, and I dived the hell out of it just to see what would happen. I retired it just last week because the rubber actually tore around the inflater coupling thing.

Good point. When this wears out maybe I'll try a different brand rubber hose. Have no attachment to Myflex - just function.

I had a blowout on the Miflex HI Pressure thin hose. Glad that I had a spare but I have no confidence with this thin hose anymore and will change soon. It had about 100 dives on it over past year. It blew on the hose itself and about 0.5cm from the top of the hose.

Well, I hope these reports are enough for people to change them out, an inexperienced diver has freaked out over a lot less than a HP hose rupture and I'd hate to see anyone get hurt as a result. As I said before somewhere, if this industry was more tightly controlled like some others this product would have been yanked long ago. And I'm not saying I want it to be controlled more, I'm just sayin:wink:

so far my LP miflex is just fine, none of the fraying issues anyone else has reported.

one of my long hoses is starting to bubble -- should i even consider phantom for that, or does it have the same floaty/floppy issue that miflex has on the long hose?

Are the issues with the miflex hoses restricted to the HP pressure hoses? Are there any issues with LP pressure hoses at all?

Also, are there different types of miflex HP hoses that are acting differently?

so far my LP miflex is just fine, none of the fraying issues anyone else has reported.

one of my long hoses is starting to bubble -- should i even consider phantom for that, or does it have the same floaty/floppy issue that miflex has on the long hose?

It is more floaty/floppy than an oldschool rubber one but not unreasonably so and since it's so flexible it also seems longer. A 6' would be ideal for me from a stowing standpoint, but since it's not optimal for gas sharing and also not made in that size I now run it not only under the canister light, but also under my knife causing it to run straight up my left side. I only have a few dives like that but I really like it. Before I started doing that it just seemed a bit long, but not unmanageable, I could easily dive like that. Keep in mind I'm diving with no exposure protection so in a drysuit this may not be the case at all.

Are the issues with the miflex hoses restricted to the HP pressure hoses? Are there any issues with LP pressure hoses at all?

Also, are there different types of miflex HP hoses that are acting differently?

Yes, it's the high pressure hoses only, the LP's are fine. There was a redesign of the hose so in that regard yes, there is more than one design out there, but the redesign didn't fix anything so it really doesn't matter.

I now have a mix of Miflex and Phantom LP and they are all fine although Miflex will not be getting any of my future business unless they are the only ones who make the size I need. The Phantoms are nicer looking, their fittings are shinier and I like shiny things:D

Yes, it's the high pressure hoses only, the LP's are fine. There was a redesign of the hose so in that regard yes, there is more than one design out there, but the redesign didn't fix anything so it really doesn't matter.

I now have a mix of Miflex and Phantom LP and they are all fine although Miflex will not be getting any of my future business unless they are the only ones who make the size I need. The Phantoms are nicer looking, their fittings are shinier and I like shiny things:D

Thank you!!!

I suppose that I should forget about the Miflex LP hoses also. I'd get a regular LP hose and not have to worry about it.

Safe Diving!!

Thank you!!!

I suppose that I should forget about the Miflex LP hoses also. I'd get a regular LP hose and not have to worry about it.

Safe Diving!!

LP Miflex hose is fine. It's only the HP hoses that have issues. I have had two HP hoses blow in a short space of time but my LP are fine and I will continue to buy LP Miflex hoses for most of my hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom