Not underwater, but upgrade from a D70 to???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm new to this and looking at the d3100 now actually. Is the AF-S thing bad?

AF-S means different things in different places on a camera...

When setting the type of autofocus, AF-S means single AF (you press the shutter button halfway, and the lens autofocuses) as comapred to AF-C (the lens is always autofocusing).

When looking at lenses, AF-S means that the lens has an ultrasonic motor inside of it that moves lens elements to autofocus. Some other lenses are AF-D, and a little motor inside the camera body attaches to the lens to autofocus it, through something that looks like a tiny screwdriver.

The problem with the Nikon D3100 is that it will ONLY work with AF-S lenses, and won't autofocus AF-D lenses. Two of the most popular underwater lenses for Nikon cameras are the Nikon 10.5mm and the Tokina 10-17 FE, and neither of those lenses will autofocus on the D3100. Another popular underwater lens is the Nikkor 60mm Micro, which has two versions: a cheap AF-D version and an expensive AF-S version. The difference in price between the two 60mm lenses often makes up for buying a more expensive body (D90, D7000, D300) that can work with the cheaper AF-D lenses.

ok, gotcha...so either the camera turns its own servos, focusing the lens, or the camera sends a signal to the lens to focus itself....the former being the better option for underwater purposes.

Right? :D

ok, gotcha...so either the camera turns its own servos, focusing the lens, or the camera sends a signal to the lens to focus itself....the former being the better option for underwater purposes.

Right? :D

Exactly.

D40/D50/D60/D3000/D3100/D5000 require AF-S lenses because they can only send signal to the lenses (basically, power to the lens' servomotor).

D70/D80/D90/D7000/D200/D300/D700/D3 can use AF-S or AF-D lenses, because they can either send signals to the lenses or turn their own servo.

A lot of the most popular underwater lenses for Nikon cameras are AF-D lenses and require the second type of camera, because they don't have motors built in to the lenses.

Now my only dilema is that I wanted the 3100 for the resolution, the superb video resolution and general ease of use. Mostly i'll be using it for topside, but my sea life dc10 frustrates me, not to mention no raw (nef?) picture format...only jpg.

Now my only dilema is that I wanted the 3100 for the resolution, the superb video resolution and general ease of use. Mostly i'll be using it for topside, but my sea life dc10 frustrates me, not to mention no raw (nef?) picture format...only jpg.

If you don't already have Nikon lenses, I would wait to make a decision until after Nikon's big announcement in April. Rumor has it that Nikon has purchased a lot of full-page ads in April and May, to advertise their new "professional grade" mirrorless camera system.

Thanks. I'd actually seen a "retro" body that was mirrorless on engadget.com and while neat, I don't see that there is any advantage other than being slimmer. I like things with some heft...i'm a guy ;D

That being said, I probably spoke in complete ignorance and i'm hear to learn, so any thoughts would be great :)

I think i've settled on the d7000. Now...where/how to buy it. Accessories can be ordered straight from nikon.com but not the cameras it seems. All the stores I see online and in alaska are like best buy, target and stuff but are asking 400 bucks more than the msrp. No effing way am I paying that. Any suggestions? Am i screwed if I can actually find one on ebay? I bought my sea life on there and had some imaging problems, but they were kind enough to let me ship it and they fixed it.

Thoughts?

I think i've settled on the d7000. Now...where/how to buy it. Accessories can be ordered straight from nikon.com but not the cameras it seems. All the stores I see online and in alaska are like best buy, target and stuff but are asking 400 bucks more than the msrp. No effing way am I paying that. Any suggestions? Am i screwed if I can actually find one on ? I bought my sea life on there and had some imaging problems, but they were kind enough to let me ship it and they fixed it.

Thoughts?

I bought my Nikon D7000 in November from Backscatter (Backscatter : Underwater Camera, Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Photography, Waterproof Camera). I paid $1195 and recieved free shipping to my mates address in the States.

The exact same camera was selling for $1800 here in Oz.

I had aquick look online and most places are selling the D7000 for around the $1200 which is the RRP.

Regards Mark

I have seen the same prices elsewhere as well. My main question is what lens would be the first? I will shoot above water most of the time. I will have to save for the ikelite case/strobes anyway.

The "kit" from bestbuy for basically 1500 comes with an 18-105mm vr lens. Would this be suitable when I do get the housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom