Dive Master vs Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Positive Identification Card envelope...its the actual way that your certification gets processed...they usually have a Temp Card attached with them.

At least the Paper ones do whenyou do them online you have to print a page for the temp card.

Thanks! There are too many acronyms in the world today.:11doh:

The dive shop printed mine off for me and the temp card is embedded on the page.

It is AOW,Rescue, and five specialties and 50 dives.

I was informed that PADI rescue diver and NAUI master scuba diver are the same rating?
Not even close. Naui master diver would be closer to padi instructor without the teaching component and some additional stuff tossed in like free diving, decompression theory and procedures, hyperbaric medicine info, and whatever else the instructor would like to toss in. Not as many dives perhaps but more practical information.

The application for the MSD was $42US. It's just a few pages in which your instructor signs you off on.
I paid for each individual specialty (can't remember how much each cost).

[sarcastic mode on] The really cool part is that for $5US, PADI will send you a mesh bag with the words "Master Scuba Diver" embroidered on it and a certificate (worthy of framing) stating that you are a MSD. :rofl3: [/sarcastic mode]

I never applied for MSD or paid for it, my instructor presented PADI MSD to me as a surprise at a dive a bit after I met the requirements, mesh bag and all. I guess that doesn't happen much elsewhere.

Bob
Why I even took the training is another story.

Master Diver is a way of extracting more money from you for a cert card that really means nothing.

I have one as I got sucked in too but its not worth anything at all. I would never recommend anyone to get one, put your money into diving.

Dive Master is entry level professional.

Dive, dive dive and get experience. Do the courses that add value or give you additional skills. Deep, Navigation/Night, Nitrox, Rescue and anything else that takes your fancy.

Just because one does a course and passes doesn't mean we are good at it, dive, dive, dive and use the skills. Repetition, practice and continual use in varying conditions helps create a better, more experienced and hopefully higher skilled diver.

PADI's Master Diver was used to be FREE of charge.
Some of the courses are useful eg. Deep, Multi-level, Nitrox, Search and Recovery.

Yes, I too hate to drop so much money into training but I liken it to going to college. I just registered for 2 classes for the summer session and it will cost me about a grand.

Neither of the 2 classes are directly related to my degree (how is art appreciation going to help me with nursing??:shakehead:). I guess you could make a connection between art appreciation and fish I.D. Identifying fish probably won't improve my diving skills but will make me a well-rounded person.

In a good art appreciation course, among other things, will teach you how to look at art; that is, how to look at things in a structured and methodical way. The best nurses are masters at observation. I think there are parallels.

And when you travel and visit a museum, you will likely better appreciate what you see.

Enjoy your course this summer.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom