Sea Shepherd has found the Japanese Whaling Fleet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, from watching the videos they are both at fault. The Japanese ship for coming as close as it did, but it looks to me like the Ady drove right in front of the ship as it was going to pass. Had the Ady reversed, or stayed where it was, there probably would not have been a crash. On the other hand, if it stayed where it was it may have been sucked into the Shonan Maru.

Last edited:
Glad the whaling is stopping, cannot for the life of my fathom why in this day and age anyone wants to kill whales.

...Edited because I am sure people have better things to do then read my rant about Paul Watson. I'll go expound on my dislike of him in The Pub.

Michael

Last edited:
IMO, from watching the videos they are both at fault. The Japanese ship for coming as close as it did, but it looks to me like the Ady drove right in front of the ship as it was going to pass. Had the Ady reversed, or stayed where it was, there probably would not have been a crash. On the other hand, if it stayed where it was it may have been sucked into the Shonan Maru.

I gathered just from watching the show was that the crew of the Ady Gil claimed to be "adrift" when the Japanese ship connected with theirs. They were basically out of fuel, and the other two Sea Shepherd vessels could not afford the time to refuel them. They had supposedly shut their engine(s) down and climbed out onto the back of their boat to watch the exchange between the Japanese fleet and the remaining Sea Shepherd ships when the collision occurred. The video footage to me seemed to confirm this.

I could see both sides of the story on this one, but at least no one was hurt or killed. In hindsight, perhaps they could have moved their boat out of the way a bit before they shut down to spectate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom