How Miflex HP ruined my dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LP Miflex hose is fine. It's only the HP hoses that have issues. I have had two HP hoses blow in a short space of time but my LP are fine and I will continue to buy LP Miflex hoses for most of my hoses.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I noticed the Phantom packages were all stamped "Not for sale in Europe".........something like that.......I have no idea why, so like SAS is, just buy what's available....

They are not tested according to EN250 which is the standard for all regulators and related parts in Europe.

Several years ago , when the Miflex LP-hoses approached the market, a dealer who wanted to jump that train was selling steelflex hoses, usually used for brakes at motorbikes, as LP-hoses for regulators on the Boot Show in Germany. This hoses were tested on a pressure guard regulator test bench and it was found out that at 3 bar (20m/60 ft) the hoses were not able to deliver enough air because the inner diameter was too small. His booth was closed by the authorities within several hours.

It figures......but they are tested to some ridiculous burst pressure and should be approved.......wonder why the manufacturer hasn't done that yet, probably fouled in red tape.

Breathing through brake lines, now that is funny, I could see that not being kosher...

It figures......but they are tested to some ridiculous burst pressure and should be approved.......wonder why the manufacturer hasn't done that yet, probably fouled in red tape.

Breathing through brake lines, now that is funny, I could see that not being kosher...

This hoses were tested on a pressure guard regulator test bench and it was found out that at 3 bar (20m/60 ft) the hoses were not able to deliver enough air because the inner diameter was too small. His booth was closed by the authorities within several hours.

Yup, kosher all the way to 60 feet where you suddenly find yourself choking. Besides, those flexible brake lines aren't THAT flexible.

Peace,
Greg

I really like this thread.

Since I dive Miflex only (LP and HP), sold a lot of them and neither me nor my customers faced a problem with the HP-hoses I am wondering whether the hoses sold in the US and in EU are the same (Chances are good that they are).

Mike, I bought my HP hoses (3 of them with one blow-out) from a EU source. Do you think per chance that the USA version may be better?

I don't think that they are different.

I just try to find out why there is such a big difference in the potential failure rate (1 out of 3=33%; failure rate at my customers 0% (as far as I am informed). I will also get in contact with my distributor. Maybe I can get some numbers from him.

My HD-hose has now approx. 500 dives and I stressed it up to 500 bar last weekend. It really makes me wonder.

Actually I cannot see any advantage of the HD-hoses compared to "normal" HD-hoses except maybe the weight and they look cool.

Okay, I've noted that the photos above show the braided HP hoses. The HP hoses available around here are rubber coated hoses - not braided:

P1020315.jpg

And are supposedly Kevlar reinforced and have a burst pressure of 20,000 PSI:

P1020314.jpg

I did cut into one to see if it did have reinforcement, and yes, it did have all this yellow fiber, which I'm assuming to be the kevlar. Have any of you used these hoses so far?

Okay, I've noted that the photos above show the braided HP hoses. The HP hoses available around here are rubber coated hoses - not braided

Are those Miflex hoses? Or (I'm guessing) another brand. If they are another brand, do they have the "super flexible" claim to fame that the Miflex-type have? Or are they supposed to compare to regular rubber ones for flex but just be tougher?

Kevlar is a sort of gold/yellow color, btw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom