Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE these fins. In 20 years of diving, they are the best that I've had. Of course, everyone has a different opinion and fins and masks tend to be personal choice, but I think these are great. They easily fit any kick style and are vedry light and easy to travel with.

Hi,
I just bought these fins the other day. And I will be going diving tomorrow with them. But, just from trying them on before buying. I would agree they are very light and so far comfortable. When I was trying them on in the shop. It felt like I had nothing on compared to the Jet fins..I will give more of a report after I dive with them tomorrow.
Kurt in Cebu

When they are new, the bottoms tend to be slippery, so be careful if you are diving off a boat. I'm on my third pair of Seawing Novas, due to the fact that a rib occassionaly tears. My LDS says I'm the only one that has a problem, so it may not be a prevalent problem. However, ScubaPro has replaced each set that I returned. I am a hard diver, and will dive in rough seas and against current. I've made over 600 dives since the fin first came out. I love them and will continue to use them. They are light, give a great kick cycle on both the up and down thrust, and pack easily for trips without adding as much weight as other fins. They are a little shorter than my Twin Max split fins.

Hi All,
I finally was able to go out and dive with my new Seawing Nova. The first thing I noticed and being on a boat dive was how much nicer the Seawings are compared to be split fins as far as putting the on and taking them off inside the boat when using a ladder to get back into the boat. Now for how they work in the water. They are very easy on the legs and knees (no complaints there) and it doesn't take much with these fins to keep up with my dive Buddy. The only problem I had with this part.Was not kicking alot because if I did I would leave my Buddy behind.Even my dive buddy couldn't believe how good these fins are. And how much they have improved my kicking underwater and he could see how much power they have with my kicks. Now, he wants a pair!! lol... Even under a heavy current the fins work very well. Again my Dive Buddy was making comments (after our dive) because he was watching me. Anyways, I wont ramble on too much. Other than I am very pleased with my Seawing Nova.
Kurt in Cebu

Hi al

I’m diving a lot of years and up to now my favorite fin is the classic SP Jet Fin. However with light equipment/load the Jet’s are to heavy, causing a negative buoyancy on the feets when I stop moving (and I stop a lot for taking pictures).
The other pair I have are the SP Twin Jet Max. Relevant good fin, but I do not like the length of this fin since I’m used more on the Jet’s I would prefer a fin which has a more robust feeling than the Twin Max’s.
Regarding the alternative kicks I’m using from time to time the frogkick, but due to the photography more useful is for me the back-kick (here the Jet’s are better) and sometimes also the Helicopter turn (the spit’s Twin Jet Max’ are better on the heli).

So I’m looking to replace the Twin Max’s for diving in light setup. What to you thing. Is the replacement with seawings worth ?
Actually I’m looking for a light fin, which will
- don’t let you don’t in a current
- be back-kick capable (I could manage to do back-kick with Max’s, only with the classic Jet)
- sometimes also to do frog kick (speed is not essential during frog-kicking for my style)
- and most importantly that it has a stiffer feeling in the water than the Twin Jet Max’s.

Based on the above any opinion’s on a comparison of the Seawing’s vs. Twin Jet Max’s?
Which one provides better propulsion in a current and mainly which has a stiffer feeling ?
Thanks

I own a pair of Seawing Novas and what I would suggest is to find someone who has, and test them before you buy them.
-As far as the buoyancy,they are positive ones,so you will feel comfortable with them.
- I tested them into drift dives in Red Sea and they performed very well,especially when I had to swim against the current to see something interesting.
-Back kick can be done with these fins,just like every fin,but I don't really know if they are better than Twin Jet Max's.
- Frog kick can also be done but you have to find the proper technique. There are some details you have to look out when frog kicking. anyway if you want me to explain more about the frog kick send me a pm.
-stiff feeling? Well they do,but I have never tested the Twin Jets.

I hope I was helpful, although I didn't make any comparison

Last edited:
Thanks for your helpful reply Nikos81
Actually the key points which made me to look further at the Seawings are their low weight (buoyancy plus practical when traveling) and according to what I have read here (including as also you helpful reply :) ), the fact that they do not lack of propulsion power whenever you require something more (like when swimming against a current, or when trying to catching-up after taking photos …etc).
Regarding the stiff feeling, from what I understood they will be ok, I just do not like any fin that is too soft and bends too much even on slight kick’s…the Twin Jets, which I know very well are just on the limit of the minimum “stiffness“ I like.

Anyhow you are absolutely right on your suggestion: Nothing better than to try them out by myself ..so I will do that (*)… and soon as I manage to make a test dive with the Seawings I will come back here to write my feedback/ opinion

(*) It will a little bit difficult to find a pair of Seawings for a try, since from what I show, they are not so popular here in Greece, …but for sure I will find someone who has them if I ask around more on the local forums..
Just to commend here: seeking also on some local diving centers/communities for feedback on the Seawings I understood that they are some “hardcore” divers which are totally rejecting the Seawings (w/o having tried them) due to their futuristic design, which deviates a lot from the classic fin design….For me this bias is exactly the same like choosing a fin only by it’s design /color..sad to have some examples of a such a way of thinking …. I don’t know if somebody has shown signs of similar prejudice

I don't know about popularity, but judging a fin from its futuristic design is not the best way to see things and as you say,it is just prejudice. If you test then and you don't like them, then it's another thing. Anyway, test them and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure you'll like them though

Last edited:
Just to commend here: seeking also on some local diving centers/communities for feedback on the Seawings I understood that they are some “hardcore” divers which are totally rejecting the Seawings (w/o having tried them) due to their futuristic design, which deviates a lot from the classic fin design….For me this bias is exactly the same like choosing a fin only by it’s design /color..sad to have some examples of a such a way of thinking …. I don’t know if somebody has shown signs of similar prejudice

The people I know of who have rejected them have done so for the following reason:

I'm on my third pair of Seawing Novas, due to the fact that a rib occassionaly tears

My pair of Novas will be here next week!! I tried them and loved em. I tried my buddies, which was his second pair due to one of the ribs breaking, and fell in love with the effortless propulsion. I know that the ribs breaking is an issue but SP dealers are taking them back no questions asked and giving you a new pair. Can't beat that warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom