Question for all female divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exciting!

I started diving in the last century :) well, 1997, in Asia. I got hooked from the first minute and spent the next few months studying and taking all the courses up to divemaster and eventually to IDC Staff Instructor.
I love it so much it has been my job ever since.
5000 dives later I am still has hooked as on the first day.

Expecting baby number 2 and therefore out of the water for a while. Can't wait to take the kids diving :)

Enjoy!

Carine

Started diving in 1992. My X husband was a diver and I had always been interested (hint, he no longer dives and I still do).

Got PADI certified in a spring in Central Florida. I have never looked back and didn't let divorcing my dive buddy as a reason to get out of diving. I kept on with diving and training and got all the way to instructor with SSI.

I love the sport. Diving is as close to Zen as I will ever get.

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a mermaid too! I grew up in Texas and just about every other weekend we would go to Sea World, my dream was to one day become a Marine Biologist. Then we moved to Colorado. I didn’t like it a bit and there was no sea life here. I pretty much gave up on the dream when I found out sending me out of state for college wasn’t going to happen. :shakehead:

I grew up and met a great guy. We were together for about 8 years and I always begged him to go to the ocean, even if it was just to walk on the beach, but we never went. My BF and I had a horrible break up over a year ago and I was left feeling alone, depressed and hopeless. My Mom decided we were going on vacation, to the tropics, in hopes of getting me out my “shell” again. We planned the vaca and I decided there was nothing more I wanted to do but to dive in the ocean. I started my OW cert in August and was certified in September ’09. I did a couple ocean dives in PDC and that was it, I was HOOKED. Since then I have gone to Mexico to go diving on 4 different vacations and am planning a 5th to Coz this April. Last year I won 2 courses, AOW and Rescue, at the Colorado Dive Show. When I won the courses my mom kept telling me “Your calling is calling you!” I think she was right. Since then, I have completed my AOW in Akumal and plan to complete Rescue this summer at a local lake.

My ultimate goal really isn’t to become an instructor, but to figure out a way to become a diver for conservation, to protect the ocean inhabitants and one day educate others about conserving our precious underwater world. I just have to figure out a realistic way to do that considering I’m landlocked. Until then, I will continue to take courses and dive for reef restoration, lion fish eradication, fish identification and more. I can honestly say learning to dive and being able to dive is truly a gift and I will be forever thankful that I have had this experience in my life.
(Sorry for the long story, started thinking about it and couldn’t stop writing, weeeeee)

A friend of mine told me before I tried scuba for the first time that there are three types of divers. The first try it and find nothing special about it. The second love it and do it on vacation when they can (me). The third love it and cannot do anything else. My friend tried it out on vacation, got his OW and went home. Over the year he sold everything he owned, got as much diving in as he could and then moved to Thailand to and is serving as a divemaster.

As I've been told no one becomes a dive professional because they are looking to make tons of money - they just do it to get the free diving.

Good luck to you!

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a mermaid too! I grew up in Texas and just about every other weekend we would go to Sea World, my dream was to one day become a Marine Biologist. Then we moved to Colorado. I didn’t like it a bit and there was no sea life here. I pretty much gave up on the dream when I found out sending me out of state for college wasn’t going to happen. :shakehead:

I grew up and met a great guy. We were together for about 8 years and I always begged him to go to the ocean, even if it was just to walk on the beach, but we never went. My BF and I had a horrible break up over a year ago and I was left feeling alone, depressed and hopeless. My Mom decided we were going on vacation, to the tropics, in hopes of getting me out my “shell” again. We planned the vaca and I decided there was nothing more I wanted to do but to dive in the ocean. I started my OW cert in August and was certified in September ’09. I did a couple ocean dives in PDC and that was it, I was HOOKED. Since then I have gone to Mexico to go diving on 4 different vacations and am planning a 5th to Coz this April. Last year I won 2 courses, AOW and Rescue, at the Colorado Dive Show. When I won the courses my mom kept telling me “Your calling is calling you!” I think she was right. Since then, I have completed my AOW in Akumal and plan to complete Rescue this summer at a local lake.

My ultimate goal really isn’t to become an instructor, but to figure out a way to become a diver for conservation, to protect the ocean inhabitants and one day educate others about conserving our precious underwater world. I just have to figure out a realistic way to do that considering I’m landlocked. Until then, I will continue to take courses and dive for reef restoration, lion fish eradication, fish identification and more. I can honestly say learning to dive and being able to dive is truly a gift and I will be forever thankful that I have had this experience in my life.
(Sorry for the long story, started thinking about it and couldn’t stop writing, weeeeee)

Thanks Cuyler! I would say I'm in between 2 and 3. I can only afford to dive on vacation and wish I was doing nothing else but diving.

A friend of mine told me before I tried scuba for the first time that there are three types of divers. The first try it and find nothing special about it. The second love it and do it on vacation when they can (me). The third love it and cannot do anything else. My friend tried it out on vacation, got his OW and went home. Over the year he sold everything he owned, got as much diving in as he could and then moved to Thailand to and is serving as a divemaster.

As I've been told no one becomes a dive professional because they are looking to make tons of money - they just do it to get the free diving.

Good luck to you!

did my open water in december and just completed my advanced open water in the med . have logged 20 dives and i am badly bitten , so much so i am considering diving as a career change and i am looking for a divemaster internship . i really want to make diving my life - i have been out of the water for a week now and i am suffering badly from withdrawl .

that's pretty much me - the opportunity to dive every day . i have learnt so much through diving twice everyday over the previous weeks , i just want to carry on and share my enthusiasm . in the state of things , i am a baby . as for money - all i need is enough to live on - roof over head and food on the table as i have done the career thing and i feel it was just leading me to an early grave with all the stress . thanks to diving i am fitter and healthier , mentally and physically .

Enjoyed reading everyone's love affair with diving. We are need to plan a dive trip together. Haven't been in the water since February. Have another Caribbean trip planned for August. Guess it will have to be the quarry for the time being, just waiting for it to warm up.

I am now preparing to move on to the next step of my diving adventures. After finally completing my Full Cave, I am getting things together (books, stages & pestering my instructor with lots of questions) to begin practicing for a Trimix course. I am going to use this summer at the quarry to get used to handling multiple bottles, holding much tighter stops & such.

I grew up in Central Florida and literally lived in the water until drug inside by my mother. I was certified at age 16 in 1977 in Ocala with certification dives at springs in the Ocala National Forest. I dove throughout college, including some work-study with the Marine Biology Dpt at the University of Florida. After I married & we eventually found our way to West Virginia, I took up other hobbies. Now after 25 years, I am ready to take a good refresher course when we go down to Curacao, and I'm encouraging my husband to get his certification while we're there.

I KNOW the equipment has come a long way from double hoses & horse collar BC's - I can't wait to try out the new equipment! I've gained a good deal of weight now that I'm in my 50's - but I figure if I can breath, I can dive! Now to find that plus-size wetsuit!

Back
Top Bottom