Assistive Device for Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmorales

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm completing my fourth year of Mechanical Engineering and I enrolled in medical device course. Our final project is to design an assistive device that will help someone with a disability enjoy a sport or a leisure activity. I'd like to do something involving scuba diving. I was wondering if I could get some input on what exactly to tackle, if someone could provide me with some problems they have encountered and would like to have possibly solved it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario

How about a lift to help disabled people in and out of the boat. Like one of those chairs that go up a rail by the stairs.

Could be used for diving or even just swimming.

How about an affordable depth and submersible air guage for the blind and vision impared?

Collapsible cane to help us older divers keep our balance on difficult shore entries. It would need to be strong, neutrally buoyant, resistant to corrosion, lock in it's extended configuration and have an attachment point for a tether.

Looking into the submersible depth/air gauge and cane ideas to see what is currently available and how it can be improved. Thanks guys. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mario,

I will be sending you a Private Message (PM) shortly, as I have some ideas.

John

You might reach out to the Handicapped Scuba Association (I believe that is the name of the organization). I divemastered for one of the instructors years ago on a checkout dive and these people are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom