Primer vs. Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being able to do the kicks (is that called a backwards or reverse frogkick??) aren't really an issue with me as I've done lap swimming for years and kicking is a skill we are drilled on. The finesse of my kicks in the world of GUE; however, may be a different story. :)

As I said, both the equipment and "lingo" are very new to me, and I'm trying to hold myself accountable for being as familiar with both before I pursue a primer or fundies class.

Yes, I can swim backwards doing a "frog kick" (if that is what you mean). Granted not very fast, but then I'm not sure how "fast" one is expected to swim backwards this way either.

Again, this style of diving, as well as the equipment, is all very new to me, and I am eager to learn it.

The equipment and "lingo" are new to me, and I have to break habits that I've acquired using my jacket bc over the years and relearn new ones.

That's great you can swim backwards, it helps to stop moving. The point of the question was that, in the Primer you'll find out what things you don't know and how to do them, plus have all your other questions answered for almost no money. I should've taken it before Fundamentals. It's to prime you for Fundamentals. You don't have to hire people in a scattershot way to prime you. They have a system. It's cool that you can swim backwards though.

In no way was I looking for this one-on-one session to replace a primer or fundie class. I just wanted to know my gear first as I've never worn a BP/w before before I decided on primer or fundies class.

Thanks for the tip; I am considering the primer first now. I would like more feedback from anyone out there who has taken the primer class.

In no way was I looking for this one-on-one session to replace a primer or fundie class. I just wanted to know my gear first as I've never worn a BP/w before before I decided on primer or fundies class.

Thanks for the tip; I am considering the primer first now. I would like more feedback from anyone out there who has taken the primer class.

Talk to ScubaSam (sp). She took the primer a week after I'd realized I should have taken the primer. Now she's fancy.

Last edited:
Talk to ScubaSam (sp). She took the primer a week after I'd realized I should have taken the primer.

:confused:

Dunno which ScubaSam (sp) you're referring to but this ScubaSam *never* took Primer, not that there is anything wrong with Primer. :wink:

I know GypsyJim and SelkieDVM both took Primer with Bob Sherwood at Dutch so perhaps Georgiadaybreak could PM them to get their feedback. Both are extremely approachable.

Now she's fancy.
:confused: Care to eloborate?

We have never dove together nor met and if we have met I did not know you as evad on SB.

:confused:

Dunno which ScubaSam (sp) you're referring to but this ScubaSam *never* took Primer, not that there is anything wrong with Primer. :wink:

I know GypsyJim and SelkieDVM both took Primer with Bob Sherwood at Dutch so perhaps Georgiadaybreak could PM them to get their feedback. Both are extremely approachable.

:confused: Care to eloborate?

We have never dove together nor met and if we have met I did not know you as evad on SB.

Oh sorry, I thought you had taken it.

"Fancy" was a joke re passing Fundamentals. Sorry again.

I just finished Fundies with Bob Sherwood, having taken the Primer with him last summer. I too am glad I took the Primer first. When I did I had only a few dives in doubles and drysuit, and I am one of those who have no convenient GUE divers with whom to practice.

As others have said, the Primer is primarily about buoyancy, trim, and kicking techniques. In Fundies you don't have much time to practice these things before you have to start adding in other skills to the mix. I additionally feel the Primer was a strong introduction to the team diving concept. If you are also new to drysuit and doubles as I was (not that these are required), well, in my case I think I would have been overwhelmed. I prefer a slower approach.

Fundies was challenging but tremendously rewarding. More on that later - watch for a class report in the near future.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever path you choose. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Cheers,
Lilla

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom