Playa Del Carmen Daily Dive Report! Geofish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!!!!
What can I say, Geofish you guys are the best dive center in PDC in in my opinion.
Max, Morgan, And the rest of the staff went above and beyond this past week, to make my first ocean dives the best that they could possalbly be and they pulled it of flawlessly.
I did 4 dives on the 8th, Tortuga, Sablalos, Moches shallow and Lueva Pargo Reef.
Plenty to see, lots of eels and turtles and every kind of fish under the sun, and the crew from Goefish seem to know where to find them all.I was shocked when we hit the water there was next to nothing for a current (that would change in the afternoon) Alex was our guide and was amazed at how graceful she could move underwater
On the 10th I did two Cenote dives With my Guide and new friend Thomas.
We dove Kukulkan, and Chac- Mool, to say I was absolutley stunned would not do these places justice.
Thomas was Truly a professional in every sense of the word.
I can see why cave divers love that envirorment so much.
The 11th brought me to the Mama Vina, a wreck dive and Barracudda reef.
I have to admit that I was a little nervous on this dive, it was my deepest dive in PDC and the current on the wreck was stong. I was going through air like there was no tommorrow, once I calmed down and went with the flow, it was a much more comfortable dive. Thanks to Morgan Our guide who made this another highlight of my trip.
Barracuda Reef was my last dive and probably my favorite.
It was a shallow dive only 45ft, but a strong current and on this dive I truly got the sense that I was flying, I was amazed to watch Morgan, who would spot the tiniest of creatures and just hit the brakes and hover in the current to show us what he had found.
One of the things I like about Goefish, is they dive in small groups 4 or 5 and they go out of their way to make you feel like you are more than just a client, more like a good friend.
One my last day, we were talking about some books and Max asked if I would like to borrow his copy of Shadow Divers, thank you so much, as I stated above , Goefish goes above and beyond.
I can't wait to see you guys again in June on my way to Cozumel.
Your friend.
Ross

Good to hear !

I've been kicking around a few shops for my and my buds March 19th visit....these guys were one of them. I'll be calling them !

Thanks for the report. We will be down with them in 60.....no wait - 59 days but who's counting. :D This will be our third trip to see them. Glad to hear that the service has not changed!

Embarrassed to admit this is my first SB post; I've been lurking for a while and had been scouring the boards for good PDC dive operator recommendations when I settled on Geofish. And I wasn't disappointed.

I second Sask's comments that Geofish is great. I did three days of diving: first day on the Mama Vina wreck and Barracuda with Morgan; second in the Taj Mahal cenote with Tomas, and third on the Tortuga and Barracuda/Sabalos reefs with Max.

I've never done any cavern diving, so was a bit nervous doing the cenote, but Tomas made feel very much at ease by giving me a detailed briefing about the dive and a refresher on light signals. He pointed out all the interesting shell fossils and gave us a brief history of the how the cenotes were formed.

Just overall impressed and wowed by this crew. It's clear how much they love to dive, and are true professionals. Will definitely be back, and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a PDC diver operator.

February 18, 2011

Mama Vina and Barracuda/Sabalos

Today was a beautiful day to dive. The winds were kind of strong coming from the East at 12 knots, but that did not have any affect on the visibility today.

Mama Vina was really nice today, a little crowded, but still very nice. Saw a ton of Jack, Atlantic Spadefish, and Barracuda. We also saw two huge Southern Stingrays off the auxiliary reef along with two Green Moray Eels. Visibility was at about 100ft/30m and the current was quite strong, so strong that we didn't do a full lap around the boat. All in all a really nice dive.

Barracuda/Sabalos was great. We saw the usual, lots of fish, lots of Eels, lots of Crabs and Lobsters, but the highlight was two of the smaller critters we saw. Right at the beginning of Sabalos there is a small section of reef where you can find maybe both, but at least one Decorator Crab. They are so cool, you can sit there all day long and watch them work. They are picking debris off the ocean floor and coating themselves with it for camouflage. Really nice day of diving.

Thank you everyone for the nice reviews, glad you guys had a nice time with us. Take care and Happy Diving wherever you are.

February 21, 2011

Tortugas and Sabalos

Today the wind was coming from the SE at 13knots/15mph, which caused the water to be quite choppy. The waves were at 1.6m/5ft. The temperature at the time of our dive was 78F/26C. The sun was shining and the port was open so it was a nice day to dive.

Tortugas was awesome today!! The current was pretty strong, I would say at least a 4knot current, but the visibility was nice at around 90ft/27m. We ended up seeing around 5 turtles, all Hawksbills, 2 Southern Stingrays, but the highlight of the dives was seeing two Bull Sharks. Great dive!

Sabalos was very nice today as well. The current was strong and the visibility was around 80ft/24m. We ended up seeing two Hawksbills, tons of fish, the ever so shy Decorator Crab, but the highlight of this dive was seeing a school of 8 big Tarpon. This is very surprising as well to see Tarpon right now, because with the sharks still here we would not suspect to see any Tarpon. Either way, it was awesome to see them and it was a great day of diving!

March 2, 2011

Mama Vina and Barracuda

Yesterday the weather was perfect. The wind was blowing at 5knots from the NE. The water was super flat. The temperature at the start of our dive was 26C/78F.

The visibility at Mama Vina today was unreal. We pulled up to the site and I could actually pick out the different schools of fish on the wreck. I would say it was around 120ft/36m. There was hardly any current, which made it super easy to see the entire wreck. There was schools of Yellow Tail Jack, Horse Eye Jack, huge Barracudas, Atlantic Spadefish, and 4 really big Black Groupers. Awesome, awesome dive!!!

Barracuda was very nice today as well. The visibility was around 90-100ft/27-30m. The current was probably around 3knots/4mph, which is quite low compared to the last couple weeks. At Barracuda we saw 1 Hawksbill Turtle, about 5 Eels including the "Big Boy" that lives in the Cave towards the end, as well as 2 massive Crabs. At the start of Sabalos right before we started going up, we saw a free swimming Octopus, which was a really nice sighting. As we ascended on top of the reef for our safety stop we saw another Hawksbill Turtle. Really nice day of diving, actually probably the best in about 2 weeks.

March 3, 2011

Tortugas

Thanks for the report. 46 days to arrival.....:banana:

April 7, 2011

Moche Deep and Jardines

The weather yesterday was very nice. The wind was coming from the SE at 11knots/12mph and the waves were finally down to less than 1.5m/5ft. For the past 2 1/2 weeks the wind has been blowing hard and really bringing in the large waves. For a week straight there the port was closed.

Moche Deep was so nice! It had been so long since we went diving to the deep northern reefs due to the wind and waves, but today we took a chance and it was very very nice. The visibility was great at about 90+ft, we could see the bottom of the wall from the surface. We ended up seeing 2 big Southern Stingrays, a bunch of Barracuda, a Nurse Shark, and surprisingly a Bull Shark. It is unusual to still be seeing them right now, but we are in several different places. They are making their way to colder waters, well that is if there are many left after the brutal killings that happened in Cancun and Playa throughout the season. Great dive and great to get back up North.

Jardines was actually great today. I always like diving Jardines in the morning and I know those of you who know about Jardines are probably thinking, "Really Jardnines!!", but it was very nice today. We ended up seeing 4 huge Green Moray Eels, a small Electric Ray, as well as more fish than you could even comprehend. At a part of the reef we were literally swimming through thousands of Grunts, Porkfish, Snapper, Porgy's, and Chubs for a good 5 minutes. Really nice days of diving and those who are dogging on Jardines, we will take you there in the morning and you will see for yourselves. Haha. Happy Diving to everyone. And to those who are coming down in the next couple week, we look forward to seeing you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom