Need Tampa Area Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on tagging along with my wife to Tampa for a conference and want to dive March 3 and/or 4th. Any recommendations for a decent dive boat or even good location for a shore dive would be appreciated. I am a fairly experienced dive who is serving a short sentence in Texas - the land of sucky diving.

There are several boats out of Clearwater and St. Pete that do charters during the week. I would recommend the Plunger out of Clearwater. He has a nice boat and doesn't over crowd it. You can also spearfish off of his boat as well.
My other recommendation would be out of Bradenton. The Conch Quest runs daily and is also a very nice boat. If you want to book on the Conch Quest get in touch with Scuba Quest (813) 654-8027 out of Brandon (just east of Tampa a few miles) and they can book the trip for you. The boats are linked with all the Scuba Quest stores but that store will be the closest to you.

Thanks, I will look then up.

I would second those two operators. I have been on both and they are great!
Capt Rod of the plungers number is 727-443-6731. Because you stated you are an experienced diver, I would stay away from "Tanks-a-lot". In my experience this is a boat for newer divers and is frequently full of them!

I would second those two operators. I have been on both and they are great!
Capt Rod of the plungers number is 727-443-6731. Because you stated you are an experienced diver, I would stay away from "Tanks-a-lot". In my experience this is a boat for newer divers and is frequently full of them!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm heading out to the Clearwater area next week, 1st week of March. Any shore dives around there? I've got a day of boat diving planned but, I'd like to dive more without spending next months mortgage payment. Good snorkeling sites work also as Mrs. AfterDark likes to snorkel. We'll probably spend a day with the Manatees also.

Closest shore dive will be south of you in Bradenton. On Anna Maria Island. There are a couple of sites down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom