how often to service your reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As often as I can afford it, which is usually every 2-3 years. Of course I own several. I dive with equipment I trust with my life... the tried and true Scubapro HP10/G250.

:D You really should try some better regs like a Mk5/ADJ/Bal ADJ rather than that new fangled stuff.

I use a Atomic z1. Wife uses a sherwood oasis. She went in Aug of 09 and I last went spring of 08. SInce then they have been hanging in the closet. We rinse them really well after use. Renting a tank and doing a hook up at home would be the cheaper way because sure enough I walk through that door of my LDS and they will say "Oh,they need to be rebuilt" $$$

Service frequency.

If you're determined to keep the useless and expensive warranty intact, of course you must follow the manufactures suggested service interval. However, whether or not you want to keep the useless and expensive warranty intact, learning to check your equipment is very important and will help YOU determine if your equipment needs servicing. See this link for a set of checks everyone is capable of and should be doing:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Good luck,

Couv

Have not been diving since spring of 2008 (little cayman) Going to Grand Turk in May.
Should I get my reg serviced or not. How often do most get it done. Is it necessary if you only do one or two trips a year.

The best answer I can think of is "service when needed".

Refer to couv's post and the excellent sticky post it points to to begin to get a feel for the "when needed" part.

A simple example I've used before is to compare regulators to car tires....

How often should I put air in my tires? When needed of course. How do I know they need air? Learn what the proper pressure is, and buy a tire pressure gauge.

An IP gauge for your regulator's first stage serves much the same purpose as the tire gauge for your tires. It provides vital information and a point of reference that will allow you to judge when preventative service is needed, often well before any diver-noticeable problems appear.

Best wishes.

Before our last trip I put all of my on the bench and tested them. Consistently, all of the regs would initially seat and then the pressure would increase maybe 5psi and fully lockup. Everything else checked out okay. After the trip I rebuilt them (actually yesterday). They were all a bit dry lube wise. After a full rebuild they now seat and immediately lockup. That was after 5 years with about 125 dives on each. I guess today I will rebuild the second stages.

My wife and I own one regulator each, both Atomic, with a suggested two-year service interval. There's no "free parts" program to worry about, and the warranties aren't contingent on service. So for us, service isn't much of a hassle or an expense.

I waited two and a half years to have mine serviced the first time so it would be closer to when I would be using it rather than just hanging out in the reg bag. I bought my wife's reg last year for her birthday. So this means once a year, sometime in the spring, I'll be taking one or the other reg in for service.

This is probably more often than is actually needed but it's an easy way to keep track of service intervals.

Now if I had a bunch of regs, I'd probably be more inclined to do the service myself on an as needed basis.

Back
Top Bottom