Ab diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some of my mates are going on an ab diving trip. I'm not sure I'm keen on ab diving, but I'd like to camp with them and SCUBA elsewhere while they ab dive. Is fish and game likely to take my word on this if they come see our camp or car with both tanks and abs? Should I stay in a camp on the other side of the park or something?

Just to make it clear, I have no intention of taking or assisting in the take of abalone while on SCUBA.

I would recommend making a dive on Scuba before Abalone diving. Many divers new to California's North coast have trouble spotting them the first time they dive. Scuba will give you time to observe them and the environment at a comfortable pace. Carry a caliper with you so you can get used to what a legal 7... Abalone looks like. Once you train your brain, they stick out like a sore thumb. It is also a good opportunity to observe the animal's behavior... being a snail, they move pretty slowly so it is hard for new freedivers to do on one breath.

Observe how they attach to the rock when relaxed and suck down harder once spooked. Also remember that Abalones are basically hemophiliacs. A small nick will slowly kill them so understanding how to get them pried off the rocks without damaging them is important in case you misjudge their size and have to put one back.

The North coast is similar to Monterey, but different enough to take the time to orient. It is typically a little colder, has lower vis, thicker kelp, and more surge.

I would also suggest taking some time to dial-in your gear for freediving. You need to be buoyant at the surface, but neutral at your target depth or 33', whichever is shallower. You waste way too much air fighting buoyancy. You may be in 8' of water at times. Dive with someone, don't push yourself too much, and brush up on shallow water blackout and Samba. Spit your snorkel out of your mouth as soon as you start the dive. It is prudent to alternate dives with your buddy since your rest time on the surface will be longer than bottom time.

You also need to dive warm. You quickly learn to "relax to the max" before making a freedive, bordering on Yoga. Your wetsuit will provide max insulation because it will spend very little time compressed, but you will be more acrobatic so water circulation is worse than on Scuba. Mostly, relaxed states don't generate much body heat.

One of the best pointers I know is to use a float line attached to your Abalone iron. The idea is you drop the iron at the end of the dive/breath. After recovering you swim back down the float line and continue. It is basically 30-50' of colored plastic tubing plugged at both ends so it floats. Polypro rope is not nearly as good because it will not pull through kelp as well. It will not only mark honey holes, it will keep you from swimming the same territory over and over -- think low vis and surge.

There are two rules at play: You will always see the best abs at the end of your bottom time, and they look bigger in direct proportion to blood CO2 levels! This will give you time, especially in a surge. Rules, and especially new divers must use a caliper before removing an Abalone from the rock. It can take several dives before deciding which one to take.

Don't forget to get your fishing license and Abalone card/tags. Take time to study the rules and understand the intent behind them. Becoming a proficient freediver is a lot like learning to ride a bicycle. Lots of skinned knees, but great once you get over the hump. I have come to enjoy freediving just as much as Scuba, and it will make any Scuba diver much better. Have fun and eat well.

Hey!

It's OK to have scuba gear and abalones in your camp. But if your friends are ab diving from a boat, DON'T be on scuba on the same boat (or on a different boat but in the same area). And if they are ab diving from shore and you want to be scuba diving, be very, very far away from them. Basically so that there is no chance that someone can think that you can be handing them the abalone underwater.

Enjoy!

Just don't be carrying any abs in your car with your scuba gear when you're alone. :wink:

You can't have scuba gear on the boat while out abalone diving, and you can't use scuba to 'take' (broadly defined to encompass almost any manner of participation at all - not yet extended to simply befriending ab divers... yet) abalone. That's pretty much the extent of any laws regarding mixing of the two. So it certainly also could invite attention if you appeared to be diving the same site as your ab buddies.

Otherwise, there's no issue - ab and scuba divers camp together all the time, make shore entries from the same spot, and regularly do both abalone and scuba dives in the same weekend, traveling home with gear, abalone, and fish taken with tanks. So long as the abalone are properly tagged, the gifting laws render most concern about being in possession (on land) of both abalone and scuba gear, even without a fishing license and ab card, groundless. That's not to say that if a LEO thought something was up, he couldn't write you a citation, just that the law is at least technically on your side. Ab law enforcement is front and center along the north coast, and LE knows the laws and common practices well. At least that's what I've found.

LOL, the season doesn't open until April 1, that would be a good law to keep in mind.

Just noticed, fofo gave the same good advice, and more succinctly...

Should be no problem with camping with your friends. I often go abalone diving AND scuba diving up in the north coast on the same weekend. I have both abalone and wet scuba gear at my camp. We have had warden stop by our camp before and never had any problems. Most warden are pretty cool if you're not a jerk.

Alright, looks like I'm going up with my mates around the first then, and I'll bring a rack of 72s.

Looks like North Coast Divers will most likely be at Still Water Cove for the ab opener. Where are you going to be camping and when? Still Water works well for both ab and scuba divers.

April 2, 2011 Ab Opener Sonoma County

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom