Question on Housing for Lumix Zs7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi, I'm off last 2 weeks of january and planning on using the panasonic housing. I'll let you know how that went. cheers

froggie

Any update on the best housing for the money for the ZS7?
I really like the camera and the panasonic housing looks nice for the money.
Any input would be appreciated,
Thanx

I have a zs6 and I just got the Panasonic housing for it (DMW-MCTZ10). The case is nicely built. The buttons on the back are a bit crowded (due to the design of the camera) and it takes a little getting used to. Earlier, I had used TZ1 with panasonic marine case in over 50+ dives without any problems. You can get the panasonic case for less than $200/- now.

I am using Ultramax Strobe with it and had to fashion my own mount for the fiber optic cable (The Inon one costs about $70/-). I tried out the combo last week and everything worked great.

Thanks for the update,
I'm glad to hear the panasonic is a good housing.
Costco has a good price on the zs6 around $199.00.
Are you happy with the camera too?
I'm looking to buy the zs7 or similar.
I think the zs6 and zs7 use the same housing.
thanks again!

Thanks for the update,
I'm glad to hear the panasonic is a good housing.
Costco has a good price on the zs6 around $199.00.
Are you happy with the camera too?
I'm looking to buy the zs7 or similar.
I think the zs6 and zs7 use the same housing.
thanks again!

I am happy with Panasonic camera's in general. I used TZ1 for over 3 years and have great pictures to show for it. I bought ZS6 last year because it was the only camera to have full manual controls and was great for the price. The ZS7 is similar to ZS6 in most aspects (i think they differ in the video mode). They both use the same housing. I got my housing from B&H Photo.

I am playing around with the manual controls with Strobe. The aperture only goes up to 6.8 and the shutter speed goes up 1/2000. I got some good pictures with 5.6 and 1/400 using strobe in a dimly lit garage. I have yet to try this combo underwater, though I expect it would be great.

Thanx for the info,
I'm glad u like the panasonic and it's working good for u.
I think I'm gonna purchase one based on your review,

Thank-you again for the info!

hi guys,

now back from my trip to the philippines, I must say I had a blast with the camera and its panasonic housing. Using the internal strobe I managed to get some pretty cool pics. I don't know how we're supposed to posts pictures here, I think I've attached a couple of pics. About rigging the camra, I was given a really good piece of advice: you can use a microfiber towel to set it up, it doesn't have any lint and similarly in order to clean the grooves of the housing, using microfiber towelettes like good quality wipes for glasses which you can get from your optician is the best way to go. I also used a hand blower because I turned paranoid every time I was closing that housing but in the end it worked. For those going to the philippines you can buy a microfiber towel from whitetip stores. I enjoyed very bad visibility in PH due to poor weather conditions but for shooting macro backscatter wasn't a problem. I shot some videos as well incl one swiming inside a school of jackfish. I find it very hard holding the camera stable whilst shooting, even though I was trying hard, my vids are all a bit shaky. Can anyone help me avoid that in the future? Does the added weight of a tray with an arm help? I'll try and post my vids on youtube and will let you know. dive safely all!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89769&stc=1&d=1297894297
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89770&stc=1&d=1297894370

Attachments

• P1010368.jpg
    P1010368.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010313.jpg
    P1010313.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 133
Several people have asked for the pictures of my fiber optic connector to the ZS6/7's marine case.
(INON sells a nice connector for Panasonic case for about $80). I made the connector for about $2/- and some elbow grease.

The connector works with thin sheathed (2mm) fiber optic cables. I consists of a 1/4 x 20 nylon bolt with a square nut and a hex nut to hold the cable.
1. You need to drill a 3/32" hole through the length of the bolt (I used a small bench drill).
2. With a fine saw, cut a longitudinal slit in the open end of the bolt (about 1/4" long).
3. Then file/sand the bolt's head so that it will fit through the receptacle on the case.
4. Screw the square nut and tighten it. It should hold the bolt securely.
5. To fix the cable, drill 3/32 hole through the hex nut and pass the fiber cable through it.
6. Insert the cable through the slitted bolt and tighten the hex nut.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 155
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 148
  • P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 159
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. FYI... if you already have a fiber optic cable you can buy just the W35 adapter. Reef Photo sells it for $30.

I just adapted the diffuser to take a generic velcro attachment end. I used some double sided sticky foam/tape. 3M makes it but I don't know what it's called (I had a bunch laying around at work). I cut the foam to fit completely over the diffuser and cut a hole in it to match the hole on the velcro attachment. It seems secure..... tests will be coming next week.

Back
Top Bottom