Tek Dives in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is my understanding that there is the possibility of doing a technical dive on my dive trip to Bonaire. Has anyone done technical dives in Bonaire, were you able to get TMx, and doubles, and what did you dive? If you got TMx and/or doubles, what was the cost?

I researched the same URL prior to posting. It is nice to know that someone has experience with this group as it is the one that I am currently considering. Most of my technical diving thus far has been in the St. Lawrence and Pompano Beach and I have had my own equipment in both situations. I am new to the idea of renting equipment for a technical dive. I would have my own regulators and wings so I guess it isn't that much of a step in a different direction.

Has anyone else had experience with Walt? Thanks.

Last edited:
I dived with Walt a few years ago. Was planning on doing the Windjammer but the site got closed a couple of weeks before I arrived. We did a deep(ish) dive at Karpata instead. Rented doubles and 2 deco tanks. Dont remember the cost but it was pretty reasonable. Trimix is probably way expensive though.
Walt is a stand up guy.

Wrecks? Walls? What's available there?

The Windjammer is the signature technical dive in Bonaire. Apparently a great dive when its open!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/221050-bonaire-200-fsw-windjammer-wreck.html

The wall we did at Karpata was O.K., but lacked the grandeur that is found in,say,Cayman.

Walt has done some really deep stuff at Red Slave (and probably lots of other sites as well)
Rec Tek Scuba Bonaire - We do it silent. We do it deep. Techincal diving.

[...]Has anyone else had experience with Walt? Thanks.

It's been a few years since our last trip to Bonaire, but Walt provided us with sorb, oxygen and cylinders for our CCRs. Absolutely zero hassle; no hesitation at all
recommending him.

I dove the windjammer about 4 years ago. It's laying on its side in the 160'-220' range if memory serves. It's the only deco dive worth doing in Bonaire that I know of. We did a deeper dive at Karpata too, and the dive really was best from our 70' stop up - so what's the point really. We also brought O2 and did some really long dives in the Hilma Hooker which is a nice wreck.

We dove with Caribbean Gas Training which I don't think is operating anymore. Helium was relatively expensive. Have fun - Bonaire is a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom