WI Divers - Please contact your legislators - details inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDostal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DIVERS IN WISCONSIN!!!!!! PLEASE call your legislator today to ask them to pay attention to the the White Nose Syndrome bat law coming up for vote in the Assembly THIS WEDNESDAY. The vote will SHUT DOWN all cave diving in Wisconsin and potentially all diving in "mines and quarries" - IE, Red Granite, Wazee, etc. Not sure who your legislator is??? Here you go!

Who Are My Legislators?

Ask for, at the very least, an amendment to the decontamination portion of the bill to allow entry to submerged caves and mines with gear that has been in other states.

If your rebreather or other dive gear has been outside of the state of WI it will be unable to be used in WI submerged mines, caves and quarries! This is not the pure intent of the law but as it is written that is the impact that it will have.

Videos of the mines. Everyone on here should know what Red Granite and Wazee are by now.

Here is video of the Piquette mine:
YouTube - piquette mine 2010.wmv

Here is video of the Rodham mine:
YouTube - Rodham Mine Cave Dive, Wisconsin

This doesn't just impact the cave divers in the state. As the legislation is written it could shutdown diving in any and all mines and quarries so this needs to get amended. We worked with the DNR as the law was being written but they were unwilling to change the wording as the wording had already been reviewed by their lawyers and it was too late to change it.

I've contacted as many divers as I can and have urged local dive shops to call in as well. Your assembly person will be THRILLED to hear from someone not talking about the union mess!

Update from another board:

------

A slight clarification on this...it will be voted on and amendments created at the State Assembly Natural Resources Committee on Wednesday. It will then go before the full Assembly shortly thereafter...so even if your Assembly person is not on the committee, it is still IMPERATIVE that they hear from you! Reference Clearinghouse Rule 10-123 and Geomyces dystructans (White Nose Syndrome in bats) when speaking with them.

If you want to come to the Capitol on Wednesday to voice your concern, meet at the King Street entrance at 9:30A. Only 104 people will be allowed into the chamber at a time. Email me if you want more specific information or talking points on the proposed bill.

Many of the assembly are unaware of this issue. They do not know that the error in language will affect divers and cave divers who have nothing to do with dry caving.

The DNR has responded a little -

Saving Wisconsin Bats - How You Can Help - WDNR

We need to get this amended in writing though. The DNR has not always been completely straightforward about their plans/intentions. It is definitely in the interest of the diving community to get this wording into the legislation.

If you contacted your legislator or the DNR, thank you.

As of 3:04PM Tuesday, the DNR officially posted their updated protocol under section NR 4040.07 ( 8 ) (c) 1., 2. and 3. This is the version that will be reviewed in committee Wednesday in the assembly. They are backing away from restricting scuba gear that has been used in other states, backing away from decontamination of any scuba diving equipment, and backed away from restricting entry to any body of water, cave or mines- submerge tunnels or pits.

Happy to see that a response favorable to diving was received!

Sounds a lot like when Michigan was considering a bill to prevent any "jumping, swimming, or diving from piers, jetty's or breakwalls." And then there was the Great Lakes State Park bill that would have put all wreck diving under the control of Michigan State Parks & Rec.

When you hear "I'm from the govement, I'm here to help" RUN the other way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom