Question about unusual wear in TLS350 socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have had a bit of a problem with unusual wear on the socks of my 2 drysuits, primarily on the left side, causing leaking. It has happened on my older suit & I sent the suit in to have the socks replaced. Just recently it has happened on my newer suit. These have happened when the suits are about 1-1/2- 2yrs old. Since I will need the suit in a couple of weeks, there is no time to send it back. I was able to seal the worn areas for the time being & hoping it will hold up for my up coming cave diving trip. I am trying to understand why all the wear. Grant it, I'm very flat footed, which causes me to walk on the inside of my foot & when I am wearing my drysuit, I'm pretty much in it all day long. The wear/ leaks occur about an inch above the seam for the sole of the foot along the instep. Anyone else had similar problems? Any way to prevent it?

My socks had to be replaced. I had the heels wear thin enough to cause leaks. I am hoping it's because the original socks were a bit larger than needed and the rubbing came from friction in the rockboots.

It's. EXPENSIVE. To replace. Next time DUI may lose my business.

My socks had to be replaced. I had the heels wear thin enough to cause leaks. I am hoping it's because the original socks were a bit larger than needed and the rubbing came from friction in the rockboots.

It's. EXPENSIVE. To replace. Next time DUI may lose my business.

I have a DUI TLS 350 that had wear marks on the tips of the toes on both feet after about 2 -3 yrs. I sent it back to DUI for some other things and brought up the wear on the toes and they replaced both for no charge. They said they didn't like the way it was wearing and it shouldn't have done that.
Very impressive since I didn't ask, but that was their response.

Good Luck, I would say in my experience with DUI, if it is not right they will make it right!

Can you say turbo soles - 4 years with no problems in the feet - cave, boat, and quarry diving

Hello!

Thank you for all of your input.

There are a couple things that may cause a sock to wear prematurely. The socks are designed to be worn with either the rock booot system or turbo soles. Therefore, if folks are walking around without either system, the socks would wear out quicker. Additionally, if someone is wearing a different type of shoe with the suit other than the rock boots, rubbing may occur. If the sock is too small for the diver, wear could occur if their foot puts too much pressure on a particular area of the sock. On the flip side, if the sock is too big, wear could occur in the overhanging material against the boot.

The socks are designed to be worn with a XM450 undergarment sock. Therefore, if you are wearing less than that you may want to consider going down a size in your drysuit sock. Feel free to contact DUI for recommendations.

With all that being said, we stand by our 7-year warranty against material and workmanship. If you are concerned with any part of your DUI drysuit, please, don't hesitate to contact us directly!

Thanks!

Jessica
DUI
800-325-8439
jessica@dui-online.com

Hello!

Thank you for all of your input.

There are a couple things that may cause a sock to wear prematurely. The socks are designed to be worn with either the rock booot system or turbo soles. Therefore, if folks are walking around without either system, the socks would wear out quicker. Additionally, if someone is wearing a different type of shoe with the suit other than the rock boots, rubbing may occur. If the sock is too small for the diver, wear could occur if their foot puts too much pressure on a particular area of the sock. On the flip side, if the sock is too big, wear could occur in the overhanging material against the boot.

The socks are designed to be worn with a XM450 undergarment sock. Therefore, if you are wearing less than that you may want to consider going down a size in your drysuit sock. Feel free to contact DUI for recommendations.

With all that being said, we stand by our 7-year warranty against material and workmanship. If you are concerned with any part of your DUI drysuit, please, don't hesitate to contact us directly!

Thanks!

Jessica
DUI
800-325-8439 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              800-325-8439      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
jessica@dui-online.com

OK. I do use rock boots with my suit & have them on anytime I have the suit on. The only difference I can see, is I use 3mm neoprene sock for insulation. 1 pair for warmer waters & 2 pairs for colder waters. I have found that the cloth type socks does not work for me very well,... my feet slide around inside. With the neoprene my feet stay put for better propulsion.

Tammy,

It is possible the neoprene is changing the way the sock rubs while under the rock boot. It was never designed or tested for that. The wear pattern you are descrising is different from the norm so that could be it. Have you tried wearing polartec socks or thinsulate socks? We have some on our closeout list that are a great deal if you want to give them a try.

Faith

Tammy,

It is possible the neoprene is changing the way the sock rubs while under the rock boot. It was never designed or tested for that. The wear pattern you are descrising is different from the norm so that could be it. Have you tried wearing polartec socks or thinsulate socks? We have some on our closeout list that are a great deal if you want to give them a try.

Faith

I've tried them. With cloth- like socks my feet tend to slide around inside the drysuit sock & rock boots. Difficult to explain. The boot will be snug, but my feet will still slide around inside. It makes my kicks much less efficient.

Have you tried the polartec? The thinsulate have a shell on them that may cause them to move slightly within the sock but the polartec do not. I would think those might be better. Another option would be to put some type of reinforcement in the problem areas. We could add another layer of CF200 material. Just tell us where!

Faith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom