ZS3/ZS7 Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gp51

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to get some feedback regarding the Panasonic vs 10 Bar housings for the Panasonic ZS3/ZS7 cameras. I understand the 10 Bar is almost twice as expensive but will go deeper, accept different lenses and accommodate a red filter. Are there any other major differences? One concern I have are the activation buttons that each housing uses. The buttons on the Panasonic are made out if plastic and appear a bit weak/iffy. I do not know if they will hold up over time. If anyone has used both of these housing and would care to comment, I would appreciate it. Thanks. GP

There is absolutely no advantage of the 10 bar housing over the Panasonic case in terms of accepting different lenses. Firstly, you cannot use a wide angle lens for the ZS3/ZS7. It does not support a wide conversion lens due to camera master lens specification. A macro lens is a possibility for the 10 Bar, but it also is a possibility with the Panasonic housing. During May of this year, Inon released an adaptor for the Panasonic case so that it can now use their UCL 165 lens or stack them if you so chose. The cost of the adapter is $90. I am attaching a link to the adaptor information. The added depth argument doesn't hold water either (intended pun). The Panasonic case is fine for up to 40 meters (131 feet). Do you plan on diving below recreational depths? As for the red filter, your ZS3/ZS7 already comes with one! It is a built-in electronic red filter that is turned on by using the underwater mode of the camera. Red filters become useless the deeper you go and you need to consider adding an external light. My suggestion is stick with the Panasonic case and with the money you save, get yourself a light and the macro lens adaptor when you are ready to do so. Whether you go with the 10-bar or the Panasonic case, you should get yourself a dual handle tray for steadying your video.

Good luck!

INON M67 Lens Adapter Base MCTZ7/TZ5 for Panasonic DMW-MCTZ7 / DMW-MCTZ5 #456212143577
adaptor for macro lens

Lumix ZS3 Rig --Wide angle Configuration | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
my rig

Joe Stone's videos on Vimeo
my video

Hey Joe,
Does a tray REALLY help steady vids/stills? I've got a ZS3 with the Panny housing and love it,
but have a tough time keeping it steady. Also I have no lights so the stills are pretty "soft".
Needless to say I'm on a budget, and wonder if I could just make some kind of tray with a handle and weight. Is it the extra weight that helps keep it steady or the geometry/design or both?
Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution? Also after shooting vids the ZS3 gets warm and I get the "fog" problem even with the dessicant baggy. Any tips are most welcome. Thanks for your reply.

Hey guys,
I have ZS3 and Panasonic case. I used it for quite a while. I also experienced a fog problem, however I found a way to go around it. I put the silica gel in and close the case the evening before diving. This usually helps, as silica needs some time to get the moisture out. Also keeping the case with camera in the water (while at the surface) helps, as case is not exposed to shocks of hot and cold temperature (this is when I experienced a fog on the lens). I have no idea how 10 bar handles these problems.
Also, the case for ZS3 would not be compatible with ZS7 as they moved the mode dial for ZS7 and placed GPS sensor in that place.
Anyway, this is the video I took with my ZS3 last December in Bonaire. Stabilized it a bit in Premiere and it looks decent:
YouTube - Bonaire 2010

Regards,
Andy

Hey Joe,
Does a tray REALLY help steady vids/stills? I've got a ZS3 with the Panny housing and love it,
but have a tough time keeping it steady. Also I have no lights so the stills are pretty "soft".
Needless to say I'm on a budget, and wonder if I could just make some kind of tray with a handle and weight. Is it the extra weight that helps keep it steady or the geometry/design or both?
Any suggestions for an inexpensive solution? Also after shooting vids the ZS3 gets warm and I get the "fog" problem even with the dessicant baggy. Any tips are most welcome. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, a two handle tray makes a big difference. It's the extra size, not the weight that matters. Usually keeping your rig close to neutrally bouyant is your best option. Single handle trays go for about $65 and a basic dual handle trays go for about $100. Try doubling up on your dessicant bag, replace them often and don't leave the housing exposed to the sun during surface intervals.
check out the link for some trays
Trays & Handles - Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Hey guys,
I have ZS3 and Panasonic case. I used it for quite a while. I also experienced a fog problem, however I found a way to go around it. I put the silica gel in and close the case the evening before diving. This usually helps, as silica needs some time to get the moisture out. Also keeping the case with camera in the water (while at the surface) helps, as case is not exposed to shocks of hot and cold temperature (this is when I experienced a fog on the lens). I have no idea how 10 bar handles these problems.
Also, the case for ZS3 would not be compatible with ZS7 as they moved the mode dial for ZS7 and placed GPS sensor in that place.
Anyway, this is the video I took with my ZS3 last December in Bonaire. Stabilized it a bit in Premiere and it looks decent:
YouTube - Bonaire 2010

Regards,
Andy

Nice video. I'm headed to Bonaire in a few months.

Do you live in NYC ?

Joe-
Interesting rig you have there....
Do you use the video lights for stills also or
use a strobe or the ZS3 flash in conjunction with the video lights or....?
Thanks for your tips.

Joe-
Interesting rig you have there....
Do you use the video lights for stills also or
use a strobe or the ZS3 flash in conjunction with the video lights or....?
Thanks for your tips.

Underwater I use the cam exclusively for vids, on land I'll take stills and vids.

I agree 2 handles are better than 1, but 1 is better than none. Here's some video I shot using the panny housing with just 1 handle.

Shark Dive-Beqa Lagoon
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6GYuPpAB-E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom