Help me spend my money on dive gear :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say go for the next course like advanced open water or nitrox training. If you dive alone maybe a spare air for self rescue (hopefully never needed)... But you already mentioned things like a knife that you should have first. But keep learning!

Forgive me for asking, but...
  • Why does someone who has yet to complete OW training own so much gear?
  • How did you acquire such a large credit at your store?

If you buy a tank for local diving, then you're going to have to get weights and an exposure suit suitable for your local water. That could easily eat up $350. FYI, a new HP steel tank alone could easily run $300-$350. An AL80 tank should go for $130-$150.

My LDS holds a wonderful "tent" sale twice a year. It's the only time of the year that scuba gear is priced competitively with online retailers. If your LDS has similar sales, it might be worthwhile to maximize your credit by spending it then.

Worthwhile classes for a newly certified diver include: Emergency First Response (includes BLS CPR certification) and Peak Performance Buoyancy (if the instructor is good).

Otherwise, save the money for dive outings arranged by the LDS. You'll have fun and make new friends. What's not to like?

Sandpaper :idk: so you can change the colour of your tanks?

Get the computer or the camera. You will be glad you bought local when you find that you want/need advice on how to set them up, use them, get battery changes, and if it needs to be serviced or replaced on warranty.

theskull

How about a really good dive light. They make some really small but powerful LED lights now.

would not waste it on a knife or gloves. I have a knife I have had for 20 years and have not once used it under water. Gloves?? Most dives for me are in marine parks and they will not let you wear them

You have all the gear you need (except the computer). Unless you plan on doing a lot of diving locally, I would recommend against getting tanks. It's cheaper to rent if you will only do it occassionally. I would suggest you spend the money on training. If the trips you are planning are through your shop, you can probably take some courses then.

Get the computer or the camera. You will be glad you bought local when you find that you want/need advice on how to set them up, use them, get battery changes, and if it needs to be serviced or replaced on warranty.

theskull

I completely agree that buying from a shop for this kind of thing is better than on-line for the very reasons you give. I know many people will disagree, but I am ok with that. The one thing I will say though that getting a camera is a mistake for a brand new diver. Underwater photography is all about bouyancy control and a new diver just doesn't have it. I advise people to wait until they are comfortable underwater and know that this is something they really want to do before they put out the kind of money a UW camera costs.

I would second the recommendation for a good, bright LED light. Another thing would be to talk to the shop instructors about taking some "diving lessons" -- specific sessions to help you balance your equipment, work on your buoyancy and trim, or perhaps learn some new propulsion techniques.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom