SMB / Safety sausage deployment at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One suggestion. Use a magic marker or something to mark 15 feet down so you just reel up to 15 feet for safety stop, then clip the reel and hang for your safety stop. Good thread, I hired a dm to teach me how to shoot the smb from depth just a few weeks ago before my Palau trip. I needed help to figure out how to do it right. I would not want to have to do it for my first time at a place with heavy boat traffic. There are some subtle nuances that instruction helps with.

I much prefer using exhaust bubbles to inflate a DSMB rather than octopus. More control, less chance of it getting snagged up or caught inside the bag and less chance of a freeflow if done in cold water. You also don't need a 3rd arm to inflate, hold the reel and do other things.

I generally teach exhaust bubbles now for the above reasons (except BSAC. They're backward and demand its an alternate use:) ).

Also marking a depth and hanging off isn't a good idea. Any wind, current or rough sea will angle the line and cause that stop to be shallower than actually marked.

I used to use my exhaust bubbles to inflate my DSMB until I got ripped a new ar## h#l# by a BSAC instructor, I thought it was a better technique as you were transferring air from your lungs to the DSMB and not changing your over all buoyancy.

Practice, practice, practice. Entanglement is no fun and neither is the quick ride to the surface while being pulled up. Dropping the spool and watching it unwind all of its length maybe funny but in the end it kind of ruins the dive:) I second someone's suggestion - go to the pool - do it few times and when you think you've mastered it, do it by feel - don't look at your hands. If you can do that - you are ready. Good Luck.

I used to use my exhaust bubbles to inflate my DSMB until I got ripped a new ar## h#l# by a BSAC instructor, I thought it was a better technique as you were transferring air from your lungs to the DSMB and not changing your over all buoyancy.

Generally it is better using bubbles. I'd ignore a lot of what BSAC has to say. Its extremely prescriptive in that "my way is the only way" and a lot of it for no obvious good reason.

I dislike shoving regs close to the ends of bags and purging regs in cold water!

I'm sorry but it looks pretty simple and straightforward to me. You have to go out of your way to screw it up, kind of like tripping over your own feet.

I'm sorry but it looks pretty simple and straightforward to me. You have to go out of your way to screw it up, kind of like tripping over your own feet.

Go try it then and let us know how you get on.
Make sure your insurance is paid up first.

I am willing to bet you that I get it on the first try without taking a ride to the surface or getting tangled up.

Go try it then. There's a reason 15% of all reported incidents here a few years ago were DSMB related.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom