Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These two lines from that article don't seem to make sense...

Agreed and it may very well be the media twisting his words.. That would be a first, right? Especially with diving - something the majority of reports know little about first hand.

Of course, he could also simply mean extricate herself from the cave in general, but I doubt it. This is a lady that digs into Edd Sorenson size squeezes, and then tries to figure out how to go further. I think the idea of her going off-line and simply getting lost (viz or no viz) is hard to comprehend. I think most that know her, or even of her, will be surprised if that is the case and she hadn't been trapped at least during some point during this dive.

Either way, I hope the information comes to light sooner than later / never.

Nothing released by the press needs to be listened too. No accurate first hand account has been given but it is in the works and will come out soon.
What I will say is she was not LOST. This just discredits her as the diver she was and is stupid in my opinion. To say she got lost in a damn crack is just moronic. One way in, one way out. What happens is when the viz is zero its hard to get out, its hard to get out when you can see so imagine everything on you hanging up and you can't see it. If she had to back out, then its ten times as hard. Done it once and I won't put myself there again.

Could she have lost her line, very possible, that would also hinder her knowing the correct path to safely navigate the small area she was in. Its very easy to get wedged in if your a foot to the right or left or where you need to be. In my opinion the deciding factor happened 45 minutes or more to her actually running out of gas wether she was stuck then or lost the line ( broken line, dropped reel or whatever ) so if you want accurate information to debate over just give it a few days for the recovery team to put together a report. I for one believes Aggie deserves that.

These two lines from that article don't seem to make sense...

I wondered that too. If you "need to extricate yourself," aren't you trapped?

from some of the postings that are on her FB page from some of the divers that were around or possibly dove down to Ag....the spot she was in was roughly 50 inches wide and 9-10 inches tall...those are the things that I'm reading...whether they are true or not I don't know...but that just gives an idea the section she was in...

ex·tri·cate
   /ˈɛkstrɪˌkeɪt/ Show Spelled[ek-stri-keyt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
1. to free or release from entanglement; disengage
2. to extricate someone (eg herself) from a dangerous situation

Bold and comment in parenthesis added by me. I believe this is the context the Doctor was using it in. It doesn't have to mean your are physically wedged somewhere

ex·tri·cate
   /ˈɛkstrɪˌkeɪt/ Show Spelled[ek-stri-keyt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
1. to free or release from entanglement; disengage
2. to extricate someone (eg herself) from a dangerous situation

Bold and comment in parenthesis added by me. I believe this is the context the Doctor was using it in. It doesn't have to mean your are physically wedged somewhere

Thanks.

A statement has been released by the team that did the recovery. Agnes left one tank behind in order to navigate a series of restrictions. She was unable to navigate one restriction coming back and never reached her other tank. She DID have a line, she was NOT LOST. This is just a bad deal but not unexpected for people that dive at that level. I'm not sure what lesson there is to be learned here. As long as people push the limits this will happen. Gas management is crucial but we will never know if it would have helped if she turned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom