SMB / Safety sausage deployment at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you so full of hate? People with lots of experience are trying to share their knowledge with you, and you're being real rude about it...

Well, it is pretty clear that the original poster did, and we gave him some. You don't have to read it, and you have already made it abundantly clear that you believe any of us who have had issues learning this skill are morons. Can we leave it at that?

I really appreciate all the constructive comments so far - please keep them coming

A key point I'm getting from this is that by not having done this, I really had no idea what was involved with shooting a safety sausage to the surface while at depth without doing something stupid/dangerous in the process. This seems like one of those skills that seem so easily obvious until you think about it until you start really thinking. By comparison, inflating it while on the surface seems trivial. Like me before I started diving, I thought you just put some gear on, went under water, breathed compressed air, came back up and that was it. Now at least I'm starting to know what I don't know and can proactively do something about it.

A tech diver buddy and I are planning a one day dive trip in a week, and he offered to show me how to shoot a bag (which I know he's done on a lot of his dives in search of wrecks), so that sounds like a good start. After that I can at least start practicing so that if I ever do need to deploy my safety sausage I'll know what to do without creating additional danger to myself

Some of our long immersion, thick wetsuit, male divers over here
have their suits heavily glued and stitched, tailor made with seals.

There is also a tubular duck billed appendage attached to the front.

Tangling your line around one of those if it protruded enough, would
really empty your tank.:shocked2:

Hey geoff,

I just read your profile...

SB Challenge become a better diver
I love that!

I'll be happy to dive with you and show you how to deploy a bag from depth (shallow) :wink:

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Well, most of you anyway...

EmptyTank, why did you even bother replying to this thread? You aren't able to contribute to the OP's question. All you've done is express disbelief that shooting an SMB to the surface can be challenging, which is a back-handed insult to those who have stated that there are, in fact, challenges in doing so properly. Given that you have no experience in what you're talking about, all you've really done is make yourself look like a fool.

In reading the posts that are actually relevant to this post I would have to say THANKS!! I am definitely going to be doing the SMB deployment practice drill. Yeah practice makes perfect but, those little gremlins that seem to come up when you practice also teach. I checked out the youtube SMB posts and saw it might not be as easy as one might think.

I'll be happy to dive with you and show you how to deply a bag from depth (shallow) :wink:

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely take you up on that. My contact info is coming to you next

Back
Top Bottom