2 weeks in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Fan

I will be diving Palau thru Sam's March 12-18th and staying at the Sea Passion, so it was nice to hear your positive report. If you have a chance to answer, what are some good spots to eat and drink in Palau? Will also be diving Limsawa Island in the Phillipines for Whale Sharks, thanks again for the report

Hi Jay,
Pleased to hear you had a great second week with a land based operation. Sea Passion hotel looked very nice! I was wondering how you would feel about the travel time to the dive sites. Glad to hear that it was not an issue for you. This was my first liveaboard trip and I truly loved the boat and the diving....who would'nt?
I found each of the two weeks onboard quite different both in the onboard experience and in the diving. I'm already starting to think about the next liveaboard trip. For some destinations it sounds like the only way to go ....Socorros Islands, Cocos Islands or Galapagos (sp).
It was a pleasure meeting and diving with you as well.
Ken

For anyone going to Palau, I've got lots of videos on specific sites here: Palau on Vimeo. Enjoy.

I'm heading to Palau in a few days - also hitting Pelileu. I've been to Palau, but not to Pelileu. Any suggestions for dive sites and ground tours (I am a history buff - one reason I want to take a couple of days in Pelileu).

I'm heading to Palau in a few days - also hitting Pelileu. I've been to Palau, but not to Pelileu. Any suggestions for dive sites and ground tours (I am a history buff - one reason I want to take a couple of days in Pelileu).

Ground tour: Peleliu Adventures, 680-345-2090. We used them for a day trip to Peleliu. They provided lunch. If you're diving with Sam's they can make all the arrangements for you. One day is more than enough for the ground tour of Peleliu unless you want to do it again on your own.

Ground tour: Peleliu Adventures, 680-345-2090. We used them for a day trip to Peleliu. They provided lunch. If you're diving with Sam's they can make all the arrangements for you. One day is more than enough for the ground tour of Peleliu unless you want to do it again on your own.

Thanks! I appreciate the information.

Wandering around Peleliu by yourself can be tricky because of the "roads". More than one tourist has spent some quality time on roads that go "no where".

BTW on Peleliu is Dolphin Bay Divers run by a local. A very nice place to hang - close to the reefs but land based. And much much quieter than Koror.

As for the herds of Japanese divers our dive guide summed it up nicely "The Japanese guides never do it right"

Thanks for the info, Scared Silly!

Jim

Places to eat, well my first choice would be whatever the Aggressr is serving:) Doug is an amazing cook. Ok, on shore: the best pizza is at rick island cafe, best classy joint is the Taj (Indian food) best burger, fries and onion riings at Bottom time (Sams place, right at the dock) or Kramers. Best beer , Kramers (or so I was told by Scott:). Kramers actually has several very good menu items and is not as pricey as The Taj That is about as far as my reasearch got me, I ate at the Bottom Time most often. I liked The burrito, fish and chips, and, dang, what are they called? torilla folded over chicken cheese and other stuff then sliced into about 4 pieces. Anyway I ate there and at Kramers most often.

Good to hear from you Ken, Ken was one of our great shipmates. He ragged on how bad his own photos were so I kept mine hidden - even though they would have made him feel like a pro:)

The Aggressor will also set you up with the guide on Peleliu. Unfortunately he was out of town while I was there so I missed that tour. It is something I have at the top of the agenda for my next visit.

I have done hundreds (or more) dives in Palau, and lived and worked in Palau as a diver for a couple of years. A few thoughts:
If you want to dive the hell out of it, go liveaboard. Lots more diving, and you really can avoid alot of the crowds with early dives, late dives, and dives while the land sharks are off-gassing. ANother factor is that Koror is not the most charming place in the world. In fact, alot of folks are really tunred off by it. Not very idyllic. Having said that, there are a few worthy places. Best bar is certainly Kramers. Great place, with excellent food. Don't underestimate Kramer's food! The bar at Sam's is fine, albeit a bit claustrophobic. I reckon the the Drop Off Bar at Neco Marine across the way makes for a much better dive bar. Try the Rock Island Iced Tea--phew! And the Poke is outstanding, and a silly good deal. Another funky little dive bar option is The Rip Tide, down at the end of the Malakal road. The best Burger is not at Sam's, but out of the Ben Ermi trailer near the ball field. Awesome! The Taj has amazingly good Indian food, and there is also great Thai nearby. The Rock Island Cafe has surprisingly good pizza, and good american-style breakfsts as well. My favorite "budget"/diver hotel is DW's, pretty much right across the street from the Rock Island Cafe. Really good place, with great rates, and in the best area of town (if you are not resorting it at Palau Pacific Resort, which is beautiful, but pricey).
Dive Ops: Sam's get's the most press, and it is a great op. Fish n Fins gets good press as well, and while I tihnk it is a good op, it always seems sort of moody, and the location next to the dump sucks. I think that Neco Marine is the best choice for land ops. By far the best boats (bigger, newer, faster, way more comfy) and facilities. Not even a close call. If you go land based and do not stay at PPR, it may be worth going over for a look and a drink and/or meal, if you can afford it! Nice place. Great for sundowners.
If you want a liveaboard, I would say either Aggressor or the "new" Tropic Dancer. Same folks behind both, but the Dancer is in better shape, having just gone through a serious refit. Either way, ask for Ike--and shout at him: "I like Ike"! He has been boating and diving Palau for over 20 years! Excellent...
Blue Corner ranges from amazing to awesome, depending mainly on current. Dive it multiple times. Best on the incoming, with reef on right, but always good. Also, Blue Holes "outgoing" (reef on left), with a drift all the way to the Corner. New Drop Off is one of my favs, and generally has the best viz. Bi Drop Off is way over-rated, but can do in a pinch when the wind is wrong. Better is Turtle Wall, between Big Drop and New Drop--really, really nice, especially when the Sun is on it. German is great when you get bait balls, Mantas or both, but if it's quiet and the viz is down, not so much. A way underrated dive: Virgin Blue Hole. Love it! a bit deep for a bit, then do reef on right, through the yellow soft coral arch and such. Another way underrated dive: Ngedebus Corner, with reef on right. Awesome in the afternoon Sun! Love it! Need a Peleliu permit, tho. Same with Turtle Cove, and Ngedebus Coral Garden (both worthy). Speaking of Peleliu: Awesome! Peleliu Wall (West Wall) is special. Peleiu Cut is one of the best dives anywhere when the current is ripping and the fish are out! And the Express can be short but amazing. And Barracks/Orange Beach is sweet as well. Ya gotta get to Peleliu! And you can do the Land Tour during a surface interval. Arrange it through Tangee, who started the tour and built the museum, etc. He has become a sort of international legend. Quite a character. Be careful wandering off road alone, as the "growers" might get mad at you. Lotta growers. A classic day: Siaes Tunnel outgoing (reef on right)--awesome; followed by Siaes Corner outgoing (reef on right)--I saw more sharks here one day than I have seen anywhere else in Palau; followed by Ulong Channel incoming. Watch for Dolphins while motoring. Awesome day. And don't forget the Wrecks. Proper WWII wreks. You usually do a wreck dive first, near town, and then off-gas after the dive on your way out to the reefs, and by the time you get to the reefs, you are about ready to dive again. The Iro maru and the Chuyo maru are great. Yowza--I just got back from Palau and I am already itching to go back!

Back
Top Bottom