Lionfish everywhere, BVI too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ones in St Thomas have been tested for fish poisoning. 60% of them came up positive. So we are not eating them here. You can become very ill so be careful.

And yes, we can't get them all but until we find a way to keep them from breeding or find some fish that will eat them, we've got to do something to reduce their numbers.

Do you have any more info on the testing. Who performed the test, what did they test, etc. Thanks.
:confined: Get out of the jar!

Just got off the Caribbean Explorer II, after a week long dive trip covering dive sites in Saba and St. Kitt's. I'm very happy to report I only saw 2 lionfish on the entire trip, both were small, and not on the same dive site. They apparently have not invaded those two islands in any particular force yet, although they were there...

A striking contrast to my last dive trip, which was a week diving off Mayaguana, on the now defunct Nekton Rorqual in Feb 2010. Tons of lionfish, often saw 5 or more on any particular part of the reef...

Interestingly, I just got back from Truk Lagoon, and over there, they are all fretting because their Lionfish are all dying out...

Maybe it is not all as inevitable as everyone thinks.

Saw my first Lionfish on a BVI dive this weekend (up at the Invisibles).

Invisibles-Lionfishsm.jpg

Did you catch/remove that one at Invisibles? Was the mooring still there? I nailed 2 at POS just the other day.

Jeff

Did you catch/remove that one at Invisibles? Was the mooring still there? I nailed 2 at POS just the other day.

Jeff

No, I didn't have any suitable equipment with me. I actually went back the next day but couldn't see the little sucker. Mike Rowe told me he got two at the Indians the other day, so I guess they are just everywhere now.

Not everywhere yet. We're hitting them as hard as we can. We'll try to get out there next week when the swell dies off and see what we can find.

Saw another one on Santa Monica Rock today. Bit worrying - that is 2 in 4 dives.

Lionfish-SantaMonicaRock002sm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom