whats best reefs/cenotes in cancun, and who with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bfarqy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Goin to Cancun in April. Who offers the most affordable quality experience for reef and cenote diving? is Scuba Freds or Manta Divers ok? I like their pricing.
what are the "must see" cenote and reef locations? im looking for a deep, 1/2 day reef dive around cancun ( possibly with a wreck dive), and "the best" cenote around for a dive (or snorkel with a non diver).
seems to be so many, I want to make sure to go to the top rated. is akumal worht the rent/drive down there ( for lagoon snorkeling)?

My wife and I always dive Cancun with Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com and frankly, we've never seen a bad reef there. Tiburones, Horseshoe and Granpin are always good dives. We always see tons of barracuda, rays, and sharks.

There are two WWII minesweepers in that area, both are in about 90FSW. You can easily dive one of those first, and then a second tank on one of the reefs.

We did two tanks in Chac Mool last May. That seems to be a very popular place to take newer divers for their first cenote experience. It was fabulous.

thanks dog, i did see a combo dive with the wreck dive. and affordable too. As far as cenotes, Chac Mool is in Cancun proper? Im in the south hotel zone, so wondering if Im gonna be neglecting my girl back at the hotel for a whole day, or only a half a day. Thats why Im thinking of findong the best cenote snorkeling experience to go with her. Then I will DEFINITELY get a full day reef dive to myself.

Most of the cenotes used for tours are south of Puerto Aventuras, which is an hour and a half south of Cancun. There are quite a few that are used for snorkeling that AREN'T used for the diving tours -- I think Aktun Koh would be a beautiful place, but if you wanted the "best of the best" for a snorkel tour, Pet Cemetery would have to be it. Two hours south of Cancun, though.

The cenotes are further south, in the Playa del Carmen area. A two-tank dive in Chac Mool will take the biggest part of your day, but you'll certainly be back in time for dinner.

thanks dog, i did see a combo dive with the wreck dive. and affordable too. As far as cenotes, Chac Mool is in Cancun proper? Im in the south hotel zone, so wondering if Im gonna be neglecting my girl back at the hotel for a whole day, or only a half a day. Thats why Im thinking of findong the best cenote snorkeling experience to go with her. Then I will DEFINITELY get a full day reef dive to myself.

If your hotel has a spa, I wouldn't worry too much about your girlfriend :wink:

Back
Top Bottom