Looking for whale shark provider near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devingordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading to Playa del Carmen this summer and would like to snorkel with whale sharks with one of the tours leaving near Cancun. I've read numerous posts about the snorkel tours but for some reason people rarely mention the provider. Can anyone recommend a good provider? We'll have a rental car, so we would prefer to drive to Cancun rather than take one of the tours that include bus/van service from PDC hotels.

I don't think we'll have time to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres to leave from there or go to Holbox. Any help locating a good, reliable provider leaving from near Cancun is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Hola from Cancun Devin, check out: WHALE SHARK SWIM CANCUN
the best operation in Cancun and the oldest, used to do it from Isla Mujeres, all you are going to do is drive to Punta Sam and depart from there, lot of websites claim the cheapest price but then get you with timeshare presentations or the hook and switch increasing the low prices with transportation, snorkel gear rental etc.
check out the page from the direct operators allowing the best service for best price, a lot of the websites or middlemen bring their whaleshark tours to this operator.
12, 30 to 33ft custom made boats with twin huge engines, w.c. and top on all boats.

Regards, and happy diving

I used EcoColors Tours in 2009. They have an option where you provide your own transportation to Punta Sam and the boat departs from the pier once the groups in vans arrive. The prices were really competitive as well. I found this link you can check then out. www.ecotravelmexico.com/tour_whale_shark.php When I booked we had a group of four (4), they even took some off the price because of it. We had an excellent experience as there were estimated between 40 and 60 whale sharks at the site. You couldn't turn around without seeing another one as each one passed. AMAZING experience. Granted we just got lucky and it really didn't have anything to do with the tour operator we chose. BUT the boat was new and fast and the service was A1.

Another Experienced operation is Cancun Whale Shark Tours. Home Page

They've operated Holbox Whale hark Tourts since inception in 2004. They "KNOW" the business & SPECIALIZE in American Tourists. They also offer PRIVATE "VIP" Tours

Back
Top Bottom