Skins, layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StephM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of getting a skin or 1 mil to wear under my 5 mil. I run cold, and even with a hood, I can still get cold...

Does anyone have any experience with layering? I see lycra and 1 mil options. Just wondering if anyone has had any good experiences or recommendations to share.

Thank you!

Steph

Both will restrict water flowing through your suit.

This is you friend.

Is there room, under your suit without the undersuit
ending up above your knees and in your armpits.

A thin dive skin will do nothing to improve thermal protection. They may make the suit more comfortable, but not warmer.

A full 1 mm suit under your existing suit would probably be very hard to get the thicker suit over it.

Possible solutions, might be a 3 mm shorty over outside or inside. A hood vest instead of just a hood. And of course a thicker suit is probably the best solution if you can afford it.

I use a skin quite often with my 7MM but just to make it easier to get off and on, have not noticed any effect with it on.

I'm thinking of getting a skin or 1 mil to wear under my 5 mil. I run cold, and even with a hood, I can still get cold...

Does anyone have any experience with layering? I see lycra and 1 mil options. Just wondering if anyone has had any good experiences or recommendations to share.

Thank you!

Steph

If you're diving in N Calif you need at least a 7mm well fitting suit or a drysuit.

Adam

Water I typically dive runs about 68-72 degrees, and I'll generally wear a full 3 mm. If I know I'll be down there a long time, there's a thermocline somewhere, or if I'm just feeling a little cold, I'll layer a full 1 mm over my 3 mm.

I wear the 1 mm over the 3 mm because it's a smidge bigger and a LOT stretchier, it would be harder for me to get the 3 mm over the 1 mm than the other way around. Before I got the 3 mm full, I often put the 1 mm over a 3 mm shorty - layering with the shorty works well too. The 1 mm also gave me some exposure protection in terms of stings and scrapes that I wouldn't have had with just the shorty.

The lycra will do nothing for warmth - it's really just a rash guard. I know people who layer with them, but it's just because it makes getting a wet wetsuit on a little easier. As far as warmth goes, a 1 mm full suit or a thicker shorty would probably help alot. Just be sure you try them on with your 5 mm to be sure it will fit over/under it.

Also, the type/thickness of your hood makes a big difference. If it's gonna be a cold one, I'll wear a 5 mm hood with a full neck inside my wetsuit. But generally my 2.5 mm velcro-under-the-chin hood is fine.

I've just started diving (10 dives in all) and use a 7mm farmer Johntype wetsuit and top with a hood.
I now also wear my 2-3 mm triathlon wetsuit under the 7mm and it works great. It takes a bit of work to get it on, but I can definietly feel the difference in warmth.

Thanks

I like to do layers under my 7/5 wetsuit and under my drysuit shell. I have a Henderson polyolefin dive skin, a lycra dive skin, some chicken vests [hooded and not], 1.5mm Neosport trousers and hoodless long sleeve shirt and assorted longjohns and undergarments for the drysuit [I can't afford a Weazel yet]. I pick and choose what I wear underneath depending upon the time of the year and temperature. I love the lycra in the summer because it just lets the wetsuit slid on/off w/ no problems. The polyolefin is advertised as giving the same thermal protection as a 2 mil suit w/out the buoyancy characteristics. What I especially like about the diveskins [I call them divers underwear] is that on really cold days I can drive to the site with them on, haven't got to hide as I am undressing and when I am finished I just leave them on and drive home with them under my sweats. They dry very fast as you are getting out of the outer gear and packed up to leave and aren't really that soaked when it's time to go. If it's real cool out it's neat to just watch the steam escape out of the wetsuit as you peel it off. If I jump into my sweats fast enough, that water in the skin stays nice and warm. I also take a big fluffy oversized bathrobe with me to wear if I am keeping the wetsuit on for a surface interval. I may look silly but I am warm as toast when I go back in for the second dive.

The layers haven't got to be real tight and close fitting. I have never had a problem with cold water flowing through my suit. if I am diving in cold water, the ends with openings are sealed over booties and under gloves and hood. There is really no way for fresh, cold water to flow in fast enough to cool you off. Usually by the time it gets into the suit through those openings and against the skin it has been warmed up to close to body temperature.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll be diving in upper 70s water (Indonesia). If I were diving here in Nor Cal I'd have to go dry suit! I seem to run cold.

Lots of good advice. I may go for a vest/hood combo 3/5. I have a 5 mil Henderson and that would easily fit underneath. I like the idea of a skin as "underwear" for ease of getting the suit on or if it's really cold outside - I hadn't thought of that. I hadn't thought of further restricting water flow either :)

Steph

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll be diving in upper 70s water (Indonesia). If I were diving here in Nor Cal I'd have to go dry suit! I seem to run cold.

Lots of good advice. I may go for a vest/hood combo 3/5. I have a 5 mil Henderson and that would easily fit underneath. I like the idea of a skin as "underwear" for ease of getting the suit on or if it's really cold outside - I hadn't thought of that. I hadn't thought of further restricting water flow either :)

Steph

I layer all of the time! I have a Henderson 3/5 hooded vest that fits well under both of my 3ml's and it adds a lot of warmth. I also wear a Pinnacle polartech fleece suit under my 3ml and that helps when I start to get cold. Right now in my dive bag I have my 3/5 vest, polar tech fleece suit and 3 ml suit packed for Indonesia( leaving Monday).
I will start out with the polar tech fleece and the 3/5 vest without the hood. I will probably switch to the full 3ml around day 8 or 9 of our 14 night trip! Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom